This rich and creamy slow-cooker Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup will make your home smell amazing! Full of warm spices, like cinnamon, cumin, and coriander, this cauliflower and almond soup is flavoured with harissa chili paste, which adds a little heat. It's easy to adjust the level of spice to your family's tastes.
Are you ready for soup season? This Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup will get you excited to begin! It's a cauliflower and almond soup with amazing flavour.
This Moroccan-inspired cauliflower soup is full of warm spices, like cinnamon, cumin and coriander. It's flavoured with harissa chili paste, which adds a little heat.
Making soup is one of my favourite ways to spend time in the kitchen. I know the result will be cozy and comforting.
Soup makes meal planning easy! I always make enough to freeze for another meal. A hearty soup or chowder with a salad makes a nutrient-rich satisfying meal that I feel good about serving.
❤️Why you'll love this recipe
- You'll want to make this soup just for the aromas that waft through the house as it simmers.
- It's quick and easy to prepare and you can leave it alone in the slow cooker, knowing it will be ready to eat when you need it.
- It's a healthy plant-based soup, perfect for a vegan, keto, paleo or Whole30 diets!
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below.
- cauliflower: you'll need one medium head
- vegetable stock
- flaked almonds: Almonds help to thicken the soup, adding body and a rich flavour.
- olive oil
- harissa chili paste
- spices: cinnamon, cumin, coriander, dried chili flakes, salt and pepper
What is harissa? Where can I find harissa in the supermarket?
Harissa is a vegan red chile paste that originates in North Africa. It’s made by combining hot red chili peppers (sometimes smoked), red bell peppers, garlic, olive oil and spices.
While it has an intense bright colour, it’s not as spicy as it appears. Store-bought harissa paste is available in both regular or mild intensities, depending on your tastes. You can find harissa paste in glass jars in the spice aisle or the international food section of your supermarket or you can order it from Amazon.
While I'm using it to add flavour to soup today, I also find it a great way to spice up chicken, as I did in this convenient Harissa Chicken Sheet Pan Supper.
It's also delicious on burgers! Try these Open Face Harissa Chicken Burgers with Yogurt Sauce for a flavour change!
If you don't have harissa paste, you can substitute another hot pepper sauce in this recipe.
- Cut a head of cauliflower into florets.
- Add to it the bowl of your slow cooker along with vegetable broth, toasted sliced almonds, cilantro, harissa and spices.
- Cover and let it simmer for 3 hours or so, then purée it right in the bowl with an immersion blender or transfer it to a blender.
- Ladle it into bowls, and have fun garnishing it with more toasted almonds and minced cilantro. Add a tiny dab of extra harissa if you like your food hot and spicy!
❓ Can I make this North African soup on the stove top?
Absolutely. Use a heavy-bottomed pot and follow the recipe directions. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes or until the cauliflower is very tender. Purée in a blender or with an immersion blender, garnish, and serve.
🍽 Serving suggestions
When you make this almond and cauliflower soup, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing from you! Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
🗒 More cozy soup recipes
This recipe was originally published in 2018. I've updated it with additional information to make it more helpful.
Slow Cooker Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup
- 4 cups cauliflower florets 1 medium head
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoon flaked almonds toasted (divided)
- 3 tablespoon cilantro minced (divided)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 - 2 teaspoon harissa chili paste (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- In a 3.5 quart slow cooker, combine cauliflower, vegetable stock, ¼ cup almonds, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and the remaining ingredients. Cook covered on high for 3 - 4 hours or until cauliflower is tender.
- Purée the soup in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender.
- Reheat in bowls or mugs if necessary. Garnish with remaining toasted almonds, chopped cilantro, a pinch of dried chili flakes and extra harissa paste, if desired.