Sweet mangoes, spicy peppers and fresh lime combine to make this Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken a family favourite. Paleo and gluten-free.
My Mango Chicken has been one of my go-to chicken dinners for a long time. Recently, a reader asked if she could make this recipe in a crock pot or slow cooker. What a great idea! Why didn’t I think of that? I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy dinners and this one certainly meets that criteria.
After her suggestion, I got busy and adapted my original recipe to streamline it and make it gluten-free and paleo. This time, I used frozen mango chunks because they were less expensive than buying fresh mangoes.
I also used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts, but either will work just fine. I cut out the oil and flour by removing the need to brown the chicken parts first.
This Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken will keep everyone happy!
This easy chicken dish is cooked with a flavourful Thai-inspired sauce made with chili peppers, lime, ginger and turmeric. One of the best parts about it is that you can increase or decrease the amount of heat. Leave out the Thai chili peppers, or add more! Increase or decrease the amount of ginger you add.
You know your family’s tastes. Just adjust the seasonings to keep everyone happy.
Cook this Thai Mango Chicken in an Instant Pot!
This one-pot chicken dish is just so simple and it cooks beautifully in an Instant Pot too. Process all the sauce ingredients in a food processor, put the chicken in an Instant Pot, pour the sauce on top and let it cook. 10 minutes should do the trick! Garnish with some red pepper, cilantro and the remaining mango chunks. Serve over your favourite rice or this yummy Thai Coconut Rice–the one that hasn’t failed me yet!
Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken
- 3 mangoes peeled and cubed (Use 2 mangoes in the sauce, peeled and cubed (Use 2 mangoes in the sauce and reserve 1 for garnish.) OR 3 cups frozen mango chunks (2 for the sauce, 1 for garnish)
- 1 tsp red chili pepper,, de-seeded and diced, OR half a dried crushed chili
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar, OR apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar, or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3-4 tbsp coconut milk, (optional)
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless OR 4 boneless chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into 3-4 pieces each
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Place all Mango Sauce ingredients in a food processor. Process until almost smooth, leaving a few chunks.
- Place chicken pieces in the slow cooker, pour the Mango sauce on top and cook on High for 2 hours. (Time will depend on your slow cooker.) (10 minutes in an Instant Pot)
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro, diced red pepper and mango chunks and serve with Thai Coconut Rice.
Try this with Thai Coconut Rice
Cooked in coconut milk, this recipe has never failed me. No more sticky rice!
Love Thai flavours? Try this popular recipe, too.
It’s a meal you can make ahead of time and store in the freezer for a buy weeknight. Flavoured with cilantro, ginger, basil, garlic, jalapeño and coriander, it’s a slightly spicy dish that leaves you wanting more.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.