This quinoa meal-in-a-bowl with spinach, feta and strawberries is as beautiful to look at as it is to eat!
We all know we eat with our eyes first, right? The intense colours in this beautiful healthy quinoa bowl invite us to dive right in!
I'm having a renewed relationship with quinoa.
I was thinking ahead to Easter and considering the treats I might make when I remembered these Healthier Chocolate Quinoa Cupcakes. I had completely forgotten about them. That got me thinking about quinoa and how versatile it is. It's great for breakfast, in salads, and even desserts and healthy snacks. Today I added it to this Quinoa Bowl along with fresh strawberries, mango, avocado and red onion, all on a bed of baby spinach. Drizzled with poppy seed dressing, it made a complete meal in a bowl.
We loved this salad, stopping between forkfuls to comment on just how good it was! It has an appealing balance of sweet fruit, salty feta cheese and tangy red onions. A slightly sweet Poppy Seed dressing was the perfect accompaniment, adding a little texture, too. This quinoa bowl is a meatless meal, but we were totally satisfied and didn't miss the meat at all.
I used an Ataulfo mango in this nutritious salad. Ataulfos are sweet and juicy, but they don't have the strings that get caught in your teeth like the usual variety available here. (I think they're called Haden, but they're never labeled.) To easily slice a mango, use this trick! It works beautifully.
If you haven't cooked quinoa for awhile, you may want to give it another try! Besides being gluten-free, quinoa is an excellent source of protein, containing all essential amino acids. It's nutritious, it's a snap to cook, and it has a delicious nutty taste that adds flavour and texture to any salad.
Healthy Quinoa Bowl with Spinach and Strawberries
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 large ( or 8 small) strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 4 cups baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1/2 lime, sliced, for garnish
- 2 tbsp cilantro, for garnish
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and pepper
- Cook 3/4 cup quinoa in 1 1/2 cups water. Spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Arrange spinach in each of two bowls. Top with remaining salad ingredients, arranging attractively.
- Drizzle with Poppy Seed Dressing just before serving.