Cranberry Pistachio Jasmine Rice Pilaf cooked in an Instant Pot is an easy and delicious way to dress up a rice side dish. Ideal for fall and winter dinners, it takes only 15 minutes to make!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Instant Pot Cranberry Pistachio Rice is a simple rice pilaf, ideal as a holiday side dish. While it only has three extra ingredients, it has a surprising amount of flavour!
Sweet and tart cranberries, salty pistachios and a hint of orange give this rice dish a definite "wow" factor. Why have plain rice when you can have fancy rice?
This jasmine rice with cranberries, however, is more festive and makes a beautiful holiday side dish for fall and winter dinners. Serve it as a Thanksgiving side as a change from mashed potatoes!
You'll find recipe amounts in the recipe card below. Here's what you'll need to make this simple Jasmine rice pilaf in an Instant Pot.
broth: Chicken broth has lots of flavour but you can substitute vegetable broth. If you like you can add part broth and part water.
rice: This recipe is written for Thai jasmine rice. Other rice varieties may need a different amount of water. Check the manual that came with your Instant Pot for the correct amount.
dried cranberries: Use organic, if they're available where you live
salted pistachios: I buy mine at Costco. I like the sweet and salty flavours salted pistachios add to this rice pilaf. No pistachios? Try walnuts, almonds or pecans.
orange zest: Don't leave it out! It adds a subtle flavour to this rice that is absolutely delicious! Try it with mandarin orange zest, too.
- Measure, then rinse the rice under cool, running water until the water runs clear. Add the rice to the bowl of the Instant Pot with an equal amount of broth or broth and water mix. (I buy chicken broth in 1 cup tetrapacks. Since I needed 1 ½ cups of rice, I used 1 cup broth and ½ cup water.)
- Close the lid, turn the venting knob to the sealing position. Pressure cook at high pressure for 4 minutes, then natural release for 10 minutes. Turn the venting knob to the venting position to release the remaining pressure. Open the lid quickly, and invert it so the excess liquid that has gathered doesn't spill onto the cooked rice.
- Add the cranberries, pistachios, orange zest and a pinch or two of sea salt to the rice. Stir, then replace the lid and let stand for 10 minutes to allow the cranberries to soften and the flavours to blend.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh snipped chives or green onions.
Storage and reheating instructions
Store leftover rice pilaf covered in the refrigerator. To reheat on the stovetop, place the rice in a skillet. Add a little water or broth. Cover and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up any lumps.
To reheat in the microwave, place in a microwave-safe bowl, add a little water or broth, or a teaspoon or two of oil and butter if you'd like. Cover and heat on high for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the amount you're reheating.
🥶 Freezing instructions
Freeze extra cooked rice in a flat, thin layer in a ziplock freezer bag. Packaging it this way takes up less space in your freezer, allowing it to be stacked nicely. It also thaws faster than if you freeze it in a ball.
There's no need to thaw rice overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it. Simply follow the reheating instructions above.
For more information about reheating and freezing rice, you might find this article How to Freeze and Thaw Rice, Quinoa and other Whole Grains helpful.
🍽 Serving suggestions
This Instant Pot Cranberry Pistachio Jasmine Rice pilaf makes a great holiday side dish. It's delicious with roast chicken or turkey, or any of the following:
- Easy Baked Maple Dijon Chicken
- Citrus Glazed Baked Salmon with Sake
- 30 Minute Creamy Lemon Salmon Picatta
- Easiest Chicken Saltimbocca
- Easy Baked Lemon Chicken
🗒More side dish recipes
📖 Recipe Card
Instant Pot Cranberry Pistachio Jasmine Rice
- 1 ½ cups jasmine rice
- 1 ½ cups broth, chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup salted pistachios
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh snipped chives, or green onions for garnish
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cool running water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice and the broth to the bowl of the Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid in place and set the venting knob to the sealing position. Press the manual button and adjust the time to 4 minutes.
- When the time beeps, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Turn the venting knob to the venting position to allow any excess steam to escape.
- Remove the lid, stir in the cranberries, chopped pistachios, orange zest and salt.
- Replace the lid and let the rice sit for 10 minutes to soften the cranberries before serving.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with snipped chives or thinly sliced green onions.