Treat yourself to a bowl of this healthy miso noodle soup with mushrooms and noodles. It's good for the soul too! Vegan.
When it's cold and 'flu season, you know what that calls for: chicken noodle soup! Here's the Japanese counterpart of good old western chicken soup--Miso Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Greens. It's comfort food and soul food at its finest, a bowl brimming with all things good for your body. Naturally vegan, this savory soup recipe is an easy version of the classic Japanese miso soup. I found miso broth at Costco and concocted this simple soup in minutes. Treat yourself to some umami bliss.
Miso Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Greens
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 oz fresh mushrooms, use a mixture of cremini, shiitake, oyster, and/or enoki
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 4 heads baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 litre (4 cups) miso broth
- 1 - 2 handfuls rice noodles
- Garnish with sliced avocado, lime wedges, hot Asian chili paste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, mushrooms and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add miso broth to the pot and rice noodles and continue to cook until noodles are almost tender.
- Add chopped boy choy and simmer until wilted.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with sliced avocado, lime wedges and/or a teaspoon of hot Asian chili paste.
Recipe inspired by Bon Appetit's Chicken and Vegetable Miso Soup
You might also like this healthy 30-minute Ginger Garlic Miso Soup with Shiitake and Oyster Mushrooms and baby Bok Choy