Learn how to roast asparagus in an air fryer to make Sesame Miso Asparagus. This vegetarian and vegan side dish makes tender, slightly crispy asparagus with amazing flavour. This post outlines what temperature to use and how long to roast asparagus in an air fryer.
Not simply Air Fryer Asparagus--Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus! Tender, slightly crispy asparagus spears drizzled with sesame miso dressing and sprinkled with sesame seeds make a fabulous side dish!
I've been playing around with my air fryer lately, trying different recipes and seeing which I like better: stove top frying, oven-roasting or air-frying. I've found that roasting vegetables in an air fryer works beautifully! It uses very little oil, takes much less time, and clean up is a breeze.
I've made these Shishito Peppers with Lemon Aioli several times lately. This recipe for Air Fryer Roasted Carrots is my new favourite way to cook carrots, and today I'm sharing my recipe for Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus. So good!
Is an air fryer always the best option for cooking vegetables?
No, not necessarily. For example, earlier this week I made this Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables. Since I was making a large quantity, I put the potatoes on a separate sheet pan. It wouldn't make sense to fry them in my air fryer when I already had the oven on.
Since there are just the two of us, I bought a smaller air fryer. It's just the right size to cook veggies for us, and it was perfect for roasting asparagus. I bought the Ninja 4-Quart Air Fryer.
Fresh asparagus spears have lots of flavour by themselves. Adding a little sesame oil as I did in this recipe for Easy 5- Minute Sesame Asparagus makes them even better.
However, drizzling asparagus with Sesame Miso Dressing makes this a spectacular side dish, worthy of being presented at a holiday meal!
Here's what you'll need.
- asparagus: try to choose spears that are of similar thickness. If some are too thick and others are skinny, they won't all be cooked properly in the same amount of time.
- white miso
- sesame oil: or use toasted sesame oil for a slightly stronger flavour
- rice vinegar
- olive oil: extra virgin, as usual
- honey: substitute rice syrup for vegan diet
- sea salt
- sesame seeds: either white or black
How to roast asparagus in an air fryer
Here's a quick overview of what you'll do to make this Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus. Complete instructions are in the recipe card below.
Start by mixing the ingredients for the Sesame Miso dressing. Whisk them together in a measuring cup, or better still, put all ingredients in a small jar and shake, shake, shake!
Trim the asparagus spears, removing the tough ends. I like to snap them off with my fingers, but you can also use a sharp knife. Make sure they'll fit in the basket of your air fryer. Wash and pat dry before tossing with a teaspoon or so of olive oil.
Then all you have to do is preheat the air fryer and fry the asparagus.
Air Fryer Asparagus Cooking Time and Temperature
After preheating at 360°F. for 3 minutes, cook for 5 minutes. Remove the basket to check and shake or use tongs to flip the spears over, then cook for an additional 2 to 7 minutes. The time needed will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears. They should be barely fork tender when done.
Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with sesame miso dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
What if I don't have an air fryer?
No problem. You can roast the asparagus in the oven on a sheet pan. You will need to coat the spears with a little more oil, a tablespoon or two, to prevent them from drying out. Once cook, drizzle with the sesame miso dressing and sesame seeds and serve.
You can also quickly sauté the asparagus spears in a skillet. Again, use 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil, sauté over high heat, then add the dressing and sesame seeds before serving.
Whichever way you choose to cook asparagus, I know you'll love it with this Sesame Miso Dressing.
With asparagus season in full swing, you might like these recipes, too.
Enjoy! If you make this, let me know how you like it in the comments section below.
Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, or regular sesame oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 tbsp honey, use brown rice syrup for vegan diet
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- extra sesame seeds, for garnish
Sesame Miso Dressing
- Toast sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. When they just begin to darken and become fragrant, remove from heat immediately and transfer to a small plate to cool.
- In a small jar, whisk the remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds, tighten a lid on the jar and give it a good shake.
- Wash asparagus and pat dry. Sort spears into sizes, choosing those that of similar thickness so they cook at the same time. Trim tough ends from asparagus and trim to fit in the basket of your air fryer. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F. Remove basket, arrange asparagus spears in a single layer. Replace the basket into the air fryer. Roast at 360°F. for 5 minutes, remove the basket. Shake or turn with tongs, then continue cooking for 2 - 7 minutes. Time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears.
- Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with Sesame Miso Dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking toAmazon.com and affiliated sites.