Looking for a healthy vegetable side dish? This Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus recipe is easy to make and ready in just a few minutes. Tender, slightly crispy asparagus spears drizzled with sesame miso dressing and sprinkled with sesame seeds make an amazing side!
Not simply Air Fryer Asparagus--Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus!
Learn how to air fry asparagus to make this flavourful Sesame Miso Asparagus. This vegetarian and vegan side dish makes tender, slightly crispy asparagus with amazing flavour. This post outlines what temperature to use and how long to roast asparagus in an air fryer.
- ❤️ Why you'll love this air fryer asparagus recipe
- ❓Is an air fryer always the best way to cook vegetables?
- 🛒 Ingredients for Sesame Miso Asparagus
- 🔪 How to air fry asparagus
- ⏲️ Air Fryer Asparagus Cooking Time and Temperature
- What if I don't have an air fryer? Roast or sauté!
- How to store and reheat leftover asparagus
- 🍽 Main dishes to serve with sesame miso asparagus
- 🗒 More delicious air fryer recipes
- 📖 Recipe
❤️ Why you'll love this air fryer asparagus recipe
- Roasting vegetables in an air fryer works beautifully! It uses less oil, takes much less time, and clean-up is a breeze.
- Fresh asparagus spears have lots of flavour by themselves. Adding a little sesame oil as I did in this recipe for Easy 5- Minute Sesame Asparagus makes them even better.
- And then, drizzling asparagus with Sesame Miso Dressing makes this a spectacular side dish, worthy of being presented at a holiday meal!
Air frying vegetables is quick, easy and a nutritious way to serve them. I've made these Shishito Peppers with Lemon Aioli several times lately. This recipe for Air Fryer Roasted Carrots is my new favourite way to cook carrots, and today I'm sharing my recipe for Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus. So good!
❓Is an air fryer always the best way to cook vegetables?
No, not necessarily. For example, earlier this week I made this Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables. Since I was making a large quantity, I put the potatoes on a separate sheet pan. It wouldn't make sense to fry them in my air fryer when I already had the oven on.
But if you're simply cooking a side dish of fresh veggies, your air fryer will cook them quickly with delicious results!
🛒 Ingredients for Sesame Miso Asparagus
Here's what you'll need to make asparagus in your air fryer.
- asparagus: A Springtime treat! Asparagus is a healthy choice. It's a good source of Vitamin A, fiber and even protein. Try to choose spears that are of similar thickness. If some are too thick and others are skinny, they won't all be cooked properly in the same amount of time.
- white miso: Is a mild miso, white or yellow in colour.
- sesame oil: Use regular sesame oil use toasted sesame oil for a slightly stronger flavour
- rice vinegar: If you don't have rice vinegar, you can substitute apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
- olive oil: extra virgin.
- honey: For a vegan diet, you can substitute rice syrup or maple syrup for honey.
- sea salt
- sesame seeds: You can use either white or black sesame seeds, for garnish and a slightly crunchy finish.
🔪 How to air fry asparagus
Here's a quick overview of what you'll do to make this Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus. Complete instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Start by mixing the ingredients for the Sesame Miso dressing. Whisk them together in a measuring cup, or better still put all ingredients in a small jar and shake, shake, shake!
- Trim the asparagus spears, removing the tough woody ends. I like to snap them off with my fingers, but you can also use a sharp knife. Make sure they'll fit in the basket of your air fryer. Wash and pat dry before tossing with a teaspoon or so of olive oil.
- Then all you have to do is preheat the air fryer and fry the asparagus.
- Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with sesame miso dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
⏲️ Air Fryer Asparagus Cooking Time and Temperature
After preheating at 360°F. for 3 minutes, cook the asparagus in a single layer for 5 minutes. Remove the air fryer basket to check and shake or use tongs to flip the spears over, then cook for an additional 2 to 7 minutes. The time needed will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears. They should be barely fork-tender when done.
What if I don't have an air fryer? Roast or sauté!
Roasted asparagus. You can roast the asparagus in the oven on a sheet pan. You will need to coat the spears with a little more oil, a tablespoon or two, to prevent them from drying out. Once cooked, drizzle with the sesame miso dressing and sesame seeds and serve.
Sautéed asparagus. You can also quickly sauté the asparagus stalks in a skillet. Again, use 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil, sauté over high heat, then add the dressing and sesame seeds before serving.
Whichever way you choose to cook asparagus, I know you'll love it with this sesame miso flavour!
How to store and reheat leftover asparagus
While cooked vegetables are always best when served right away, you can store and reheat your leftovers. Refrigerate asparagus stalks in an airtight container. I like to reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F. for 2 to 3 minutes.
🍽 Main dishes to serve with sesame miso asparagus
Easy Baked Lemon Chicken: juicy chicken, all baked in one pan in the oven.
Pistachio-Crusted Salmon: fresh salmon fillets with a crunchy toppping.
Easy Thai Chicken Skewers: Sweet, spicy and succulent, these can be grilled indoors or outdoors.
Honey-Dijon Turmeric Chicken Thighs: an easy 30-minute one-pan dish, all cooked on your stovetop.
When asparagus season is in full swing, you might like these recipes, too.
🗒 More delicious air fryer recipes
Enjoy! If you love this easy air fryer asparagus recipe, please rate it 5 stars and let me know how you liked it in the comments section below. Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 pound (440 gm) asparagus spears
- 1 teaspon olive oil, extra virgin
Sesame Miso Dressing
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil,
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- ½ tablespoon honey, use brown rice syrup for vegan diet
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- extra sesame seeds, for garnish
Sesame Miso Dressing
- Toast sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. When they just begin to darken and become fragrant, remove from heat immediately and transfer to a small plate to cool.
- In a small jar, whisk the remaining dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds, tighten a lid on the jar and give it a good shake.
- Wash asparagus and pat dry. Sort spears into sizes, choosing those that of similar thickness so they cook at the same time. Trim tough ends from asparagus and trim to fit in the basket of your air fryer. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F. Remove basket, arrange asparagus spears in a single layer. Replace the basket into the air fryer. Roast at 360°F. for 5 minutes, remove the basket. Shake or turn with tongs, then continue cooking for 2 - 7 minutes. Time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears.
- Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with Sesame Miso Dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
I've made your sesame miso dressing before but I've only used it on salads. It's so good! Today my hubby made this asparagus in our air fryer and we tried it with the dressing. A big hit! Thanks
Flavour & Savour
I just bought an air fryer last month. I didn't know you could roast vegetables in it. I used your recipe and the asparagus turned out perfectly. Love that sesame miso dressing!
Flavour & Savour
I'm happy to hear that! Yes, it's great for roasting veggies. You might like my recipe for roasted carrots, too. https://www.flavourandsavour.com/air-fryer-or-oven-roasted-carrots-with-feta-and-pistachios/