This Sesame Miso Dressing and Marinade is a full-flavoured vinaigrette made with sesame oil, rice vinegar, white miso and honey. It adds amazing flavour to salads. It's great on grilled meats and vegetables, too.
When I was creating my Asparagus Salad with Smoked Salmon recipe I knew the Sesame Miso Vinaigrette I made for it was going to become a favourite. In fact, I liked it so much I decided it deserved a post of its own.
It's a full-flavoured dressing that will enhance any salad. Mellow sesame, salty miso and sweet honey combine with rice vinegar to make a perfectly balanced vinaigrette.
It raises simple coleslaw to new heights in this recipe for Cabbage Coleslaw with Sesame Miso Dressing!
Broccoli salad gets a major facelift in this Broccoli Quinoa Salad with Sesame Miso Dressing.
For salads, grilled veggies and a marinade
I've used it as a marinade too. It makes grilled mushrooms something to write home about. Drizzle it on roasted sweet potatoes, grilled asparagus, or zucchini noodles. Recently I used it to make Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus!
Can you tell I'm obsessed?
Here's what you'll need to make this amazing sesame miso dressing.
- sesame seeds: white
- white miso: sometimes called sweet miso or mellow miso, it has a milder flavour than other types of miso as it is fermented for a shorter time and is lower in salt. It's ideal in this dressing.
- toasted sesame oil: or regular sesame oil. Toasted sesame oil has a more complex flavour than regular sesame oil, making it the perfect choice for this dressing. However, if you don't have it, you can certainly use regular sesame oil.
- rice vinegar: has a subtle flavour and is less acidic than distilled vinegar.
- honey: adds a mellow sweetness
- olive oil: extra virgin
This Sesame Miso Vinaigrette and Marinade is a 5-minute wonder.
- Toss some sesame seeds in a small skillet and toast just until they start to brown.
- Whisk the miso, sesame oil, rice vinegar, olive oil, honey and sea salt.
- Add the toasted seeds and make an everyday salad something to remember!
Do you like making your own vinaigrettes? For a complete guide to making your own healthy salad dressings and seven more delicious homemade salad dressing and vinaigrette recipes, check How to Make Homemade Salad Dressing.
🍽 Serving Ideas
This creamy miso dressing is absolutely delicious with all of the following recipes.
Sensational Sesame Miso Vinaigrette and Marinade
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil, or regular sesame oil
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp honey, or rice syrup, if vegan
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Toast sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. When they just begin to darken and become fragrant, remove from heat immediately and transfer to a small plate to cool.
- In a small jar, whisk the remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds and serve with your favourite salad or vegetable dish.