This Skillet Asparagus with Easy Lemon Garlic Aioli recipe is a quick and easy side dish. Tender asparagus spears are sautéed to perfection and paired with a zesty homemade vegan aioli made with fresh lemon juice and garlic. This delicious side dish is ready in just 15 minutes!
When fresh asparagus appears in the Spring, who can resist picking up bunch after bunch of those tender spears! Asparagus can be baked, grilled, roasted, air fried, sautéed or eaten raw. It's a very versatile veggie!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick. A quick sauté in a skillet on the stovetop while you whisk together the lemon-aioli ingredients is all you need to do.
- So tasty! Fresh asparagus can often be almost sweet tasting. Asparagus with lemon sauce makes a perfect pairing.
- Egg-free aioli! Traditional aioli is made with raw eggs. This easy lemon aioli recipe is made with egg-free vegan mayonnaise instead.
🛒 Ingredients and substitutions
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. But before we get to the full recipe, here are a few notes about the key ingredients.
Asparagus: Choose fresh asparagus spears. Look for stalks that are not dried out or wrinkled.
Lemon Garlic Aioli: You'll need mayonnaise (choose egg-free for a vegan diet), a lemon for both zest and juice, a clove of garlic, fresh parsley and a pinch or two of salt.
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this recipe perfectly. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Wash and trim the asparagus spears.
- Next, combine the lemon garlic aioli ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the asparagus spears to a skillet with a teaspoon or two of olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook until tender-crisp, drizzle with the lemon aioli and serve!
🔁 Possible Variations
Feel free to leave out the garlic if you're not a fan!
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Keep an eye on your skillet as the asparagus cooks. Test a small piece of one of the spears when you think it should be done. It should be bright green, and slightly crisp on the outside but tender inside.
❓Frequently asked questions about cooking asparagus
The size of asparagus stalks is not as important as their freshness. Look for asparagus spears that are firm, not floppy. The tips should be tightly closed. Check the stalk ends, too. If they look dry or cracked, they're likely too old.
Your choice! I prefer to snap it by holding the end of one spear in both hands and bending it until the end snaps off. That point is where the tough, woody part ends and the more tender part of the spear begins.
You can also simply line the stalks up on a cutting board and trim them all at once to the same length. If you use this method to trim asparagus, you may want to check to make sure you've removed all the woody ends.
🍽 What to serve with asparagus with lemon aioli
Here are just a few suggestions for main dishes to serve with this skillet asparagus:
- Easy Baked Lemon Chicken: juicy chicken, all baked in one pan in the oven.
- Pistachio-Crusted Salmon: fresh salmon fillets with a crunchy toppping.
- Easy Thai Chicken Skewers: Sweet, spicy and succulent, these can be grilled indoors or outdoors.
- Honey-Dijon Turmeric Chicken Thighs: an easy 30-minute one-pan dish, all cooked on your stovetop.
⏰ Storage Instructions
While cooked asparagus spears are always best when served right away, you can store and reheat your leftovers. Refrigerate asparagus stalks in an airtight container. I like to reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F. for 2 to 3 minutes.
More ways to serve asparagus
Try these other delicious asparagus recipes, too:
- Asparagus Salad with Smoked Salmon and Sesame Miso Vinaigrette
- Sheet Pan Lemon Garlic Prawns with Asparagus
- Charred Asparagus with Warm Citrus Sauce
- Dairy-Free Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 5-Minute Sesame Asparagus
- Sesame Miso Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Lemon Tahini Asparagus
🗒 More easy side dish recipes
When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
Quick Skillet Asparagus with Easy Lemon-Garlic Aioli
- 1 pound (440 gm) fresh asparagus spears
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, extra virgin
Easy Lemon Garlic Aioli
- ½ cup mayonnaise, egg-free for vegan diet
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Wash asparagus spears and pat them dry with a clean towel. Snap or slice off the woody ends. Toss the spears with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Make the lemon-garlic aioli. Measure and combine all remaining ingredients in a small bowl, using a whisk to stir until no lumps remain.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus spears, add a teaspoon more of oil and sauté for 6 - 10 minutes, turning once or twice until tender-crisp. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus stalks.
- Transfer the cooked asparagus to a warm serving dish and drizzle with lemon-garlic aioli. Serve right away.