If you love easy instant pot soup recipes, you'll love this minestrone soup with pasta. Filled with hearty vegetables and beans, it cooks quickly in an instant pot! Rich tomato flavour and robust Italian herbs make this soup a family favorite.
This easy Instant Pot Minestrone Soup is one of my favourite Instant Pot soup recipes! I'm drawn to rustic Italian flavours, like those in my Instant Pot Tuscan Soup made with sausage, but this Minestrone Soup gets its rich flavour from vegetables and beans.
Cooking soup in an instant pot is so quick! Not only that, this method of pressure cooking intensifies the flavour of the soup ingredients.
Some of my favourite easy Instant Pot soup recipes are on our weekly menus on repeat! We love this Wholesome Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup, Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup with Apple, Instant Pot Broccoli White Cheddar Soup, and of course, this Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup with Bacon!
If you think you won't like minestrone soup, think again and give it a try! I resisted for years . . . until I tasted it!
This Tuscan pressure cooker minestrone soup is rich, flavourful and healthy! Full of hearty vegetables and beans, you'll feel good about serving it to your family.
What is minestrone soup?
Minestrone is a thick Italian soup, usually made with vegetables, tomatoes, beans, and sometimes rice or pasta. The best thing about it is that you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand!
This recipe is an adaptation of my One-Pot Healthy Tuscan Minestrone Soup, cooked in a slow cooker. The ingredients are the same. I've written the recipe with clear instructions so you can make it in less than 30 minutes in your Instant Pot.
So let's begin! Check the list of ingredients and gather what you'll need.
fresh vegetables: onions, fennel, carrots, celery, and spinach
tomatoes: canned, San Marzano tomatoes are delicious in this recipe. You can also use Fire-Roasted Tomatoes.
beans: cannellini beans, or kidney beans, or your favourite beans.
dried herbs: basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary and dried chili flakes.
parmesan cheese: Parmigiano Reggiano has the most flavour!
Complete step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below. Here's a quick overview of how to make minestrone soup in an Instant Pot.
- Start by sautéing the vegetables.
- Add the herbs, broth, tomatoes, and pasta.
- Pressure cook for 2 minutes, then let the pressure release quickly.
- Add the beans and optional Parmesan rinds and use the Sauté function to cook the soup for 4 to 5 minutes or until the beans are heated through.
- Add the spinach and stir just until wilted. Then, correct the seasoning and ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and parsley. So hearty and full of flavour!
🔁 Possible variations
Keep this easy minestrone soup vegan by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth and omitting the cheese.
Substitute kale for the spinach. Remove the inner ribs and tough stems and slice very thinly. Add to the pot when you add the beans. I like to use Tuscan kale in this recipe.
Add your favourite vegetables! Green beans are delicious in this soup. You might also like to add zucchini.
Add the veggies in your fridge that need to be used up!
Use your favourite pasta shapes. I used gluten-free fusilli, but there are many other gluten-free kinds of pasta available, too.
Refrigerate leftover soup in a covered container. If you want to freeze this soup, don't add the pasta before freezing. Freeze the soup separately, then cook the pasta and add to the soup.
🍽 Serving suggestions
Are eight servings too much for your family? You can easily halve this recipe and make four servings instead of eight. Click on the '8' in the recipe card and move the little slider to '4.' The Instant Pot cooking instructions remain the same.
Serve this healthy soup with crusty bread and a green salad.
You might also like it with these Herbed Gluten-free Baking Powder Biscuits.
This soup also goes well with these Super Seed Snack Crackers.
Keep it Italian! Try this soup with this Hearty Tuscan Salad with Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing.
Make a warm bowl of healthy soup for someone you love today!
Easy Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cups onion, finely diced
- 1 cup fennel, finely diced
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 6 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- ½ cup pasta, gluten-free, if necesary
- 1 14 oz can cannellini beans, or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach, or kale with ribs and stems removed
- 2 rinds Parmigiano Reggiano (optional)
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese grated, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Heat oil, then sauté onion, celery, fennel, carrots, and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chili flakes, herbs, stock, dry pasta, and tomatoes. Put the lid on, turn the valve to Seal, and select Manual or Pressure Cook for 2 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure and begin counting down.
- Once the cook time is over, release the pressure using the Quick Release function. Remove the lid. Press cancel, then Sauté. Add the Parmesan rinds and beans and cook for 4-5 minutes or until beans are heated through and cheese is melting.
- Add spinach and stir just until wilted.
- Remove rinds, ladle into bowls and serve garnished with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and freshly chopped parsley.