This delicious low-carb Cheesy Crustless Zucchini Quiche is a healthy Keto option for brunch, lunch or a side dish. It’s easy to make with eggs, cheese, almond and coconut flour.
With only 5 carbs (or 3 net carbs) per serving, this crustless zucchini pie is a healthy option for those on a Keto diet. And for those not following a special diet, it’s simply delicious and filling!
Zucchini is a summer squash that is low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals. It makes a nutritious addition to an egg and cheese pie, like this crustless zucchini quiche.
We often think about using this versatile summer squash in the late summer months when our gardens are overflowing, but zucchini squash is available all year round. It’s a nutritious vegetable that should be a regular component of our weekly menus. It’s just so healthy!
Here’s what you will need to whip up this quiche for a light dinner, lunch, or brunch!
Ingredients for Crustless Zucchini Quiche with Cheese
- zucchini: 2 cups of drained zucchini, well squeezed out. You’ll need to start with 2 medium zucchini to end up with 2 cups drained.
- almond flour: finely ground blanched almond flour
- coconut flour: as a thickening agent to absorb excess liquid and give the quiche structure
- baking powder: as a leavening agent
- eggs: 4 large
- milk: your choice: dairy or plant-based, or for a more custard-like rich filling, use cream
- cheese: your choice. I used cheddar and feta cheese
- onion: finely chopped
- herbs: fresh basil and oregano, or your choice of fresh herbs. See recipe for dried herbs substitutions
- cherry tomatoes: optional. Not too many, as they may make the quiche watery.
The secret to a great zucchini quiche
is to remove as much water from the zucchini as possible to prevent the quiche from being watery.
How to Remove Moisture from Zucchini
Two medium green zucchini (about 10 inches long and 2 1/2 inches in diameter) will yield about 2 cups of drained zucchini.
- Grate zucchini, either by hand or in a food processor.
- Place it in a colander over a bowl (or in the sink).
- Toss with a tablespoon of salt. The salt will help the zucchini release its moisture.
- Place another slightly smaller bowl on top of the zucchini in the colander and weigh this bowl down with something heavy (canned goods or a jar of pickles, etc. work well). Let sit for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Press down on the smaller bowl occasionally to help squeeze the water out.
- I also find squeezing it in my hands or in a clean dish towel works, too.
How to Make Low-Carb Crustless Zucchini Pie
- Combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder) in a small bowl while the zucchini is draining.
- Beat the eggs until frothy, then add milk, grated/crumbled cheese, onion, herbs and well-drained zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, combining well, then transfer to a greased quiche dish or deep dish pie plate.
- Add halved cherry tomatoes on top, if desired.
- Bake until the middle of the quiche no longer jiggles and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving. Garnish with more fresh herbs if desired.
What to serve with Zucchini Quiche
This brunch, lunch or side dish is delicious served with a salad or veggies and dip. Try it with any of these recipes:
- Classic Spinach Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Fresh and Crisp Kohlrabi Winter Salad
- Mayo-Free Avocado Green Goddess Dressing with Veggies
- Crispy Raw Kohlrabi Sticks with Dilly Dilly Dip
Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Cover with foil and reheat in the oven for tasty leftovers the following day!
Cheesy Crustless Zucchini Quiche
- 10-inch diameter quiche dish OR 9-inch diameter deep dish pie plate
- 2 cups zucchini grated, measured after all liquid squeezed out. Begin with 2 medium zucchini.
- 3 tbsp superfine almond flour finely ground
- 1.5 tbsp coconut flour See note below
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chiffonade cut or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped or 1 tsp dried
- Grate zucchini. Using a food processor makes this a quick job. To prevent the quiche from being watery, zucchini must be well drained. Put the grated zucchini in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss. Place another smaller bowl on top of the grated zucchini in the colander and weigh it down with something heavy, like a large can. Let sit until it starts to release water, then press down occasionally for 20 minutes or so. Squeeze out remaining water with a towel or your hands until you have 2 cups of drained zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or spray a 10-inch quiche dish.
- While zucchini is draining, sift the flours and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the beaten eggs, milk, cheddar cheese, feta cheese, onion, basil, oregano and well-drained zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Arrange halved cherry tomatoes on top, pressing gently into the mixture.
- Bake at 350°F. for 45- 50 minutes or until center is set and knife inserted comes out clean.
- Garnish with extra herbs, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.