A small bowl of these salty, smoky Spanish Spiced Almonds tapas, known as Almendras Fritas in Spain, makes a great shared starter or a happy hour keto snack. Serve them at a tapas party! Delightfully addictive!
These smoky Spanish Spiced Almonds were served to us as tapas in Spain, where they're known as almendras fritas. We had them several times but our favourite way to eat them was served warm from a paper cone.
Like some of the other tapas we had, like this Salmorejo--a chilled tomato soup- Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Tapas and these Tortilla Española bites I've done my best to recreate these warm spiced almonds here at home.
Spanish smoked paprika is the key ingredient in these spiced almonds. The only other ingredients you need to dress up these nuts are some extra-virgin olive oil and a little sea salt.
- raw almonds
- extra virgin olive oil
- Spanish style smoked hot paprika
- sea salt
Roast natural (raw) unblanched almonds on a baking sheet in the oven until they begin to darken slightly and are aromatic.
Meanwhile, combine smoked paprika and sea salt. Remove the almonds from the oven, transfer to a bowl and toss with the olive oil and smoked paprika-sea salt mixture.
These almendras fritas are delicious served warm, but they're also tasty once they've cooled.
Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Smoked Spanish Almonds (Almendras Fritas) are popular tapas in Spain
Host a tapas party! It's a fun way to eat and socialize. We occasionally have a paella party (see Hosting a Paella Party in your Kitchen) and serve tapas as well. Here are some tried and true tapas recipes.
Serve these on their own, or make it a party and offer a few different tapas! Try some of these favourites:
- Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Dates
- Air Fryer Shishito Peppers with Lemon Aioli
- Tortilla Española - Traditional Spanish Tortilla
- Prosciutto with Melon and Mint
- Quick and Easy Persimmon Prosciutto Cheese Bites
- Prawn and Chorizo Skewers with Lemon Aioli Dip
- 21 Easy Finger Food Appetizers
and don't forget the Sangria!
Make this warm spiced almonds today and tuck a few away to have on hand for your next gathering.
Spanish Spiced Almonds (Almendras Fritas)
- 4 cups raw almonds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Spanish style smoked hot paprika
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes until aromatic and slightly darker in colour.
- Meanwhile, combine the smoked paprika and sea salt in a small dish.
- Remove almonds from the oven and place in a medium bowl.
- Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika - salt mixture. Serve warm.