Relax and enjoy your day, knowing that dinner is prepped! Make these easy make-ahead meals of juicy chicken fajitas in foil packets. Prepare and refrigerate, then cook the foil packs right on the grill! Easy prep, easy clean-up!
Chicken Fajitas! We all love them, and now these Foil Pack Chicken Fajitas make it easy to enjoy them more often.
Once grilling season arrives, it's time for cook-outs, camp-outs, deck and barbecue parties with friends. It's also time to simply enjoy easy-to-prepare meals with your family around a picnic table, pool or your back yard.
Hot dogs and hamburgers: step aside! These foil pack chicken fajitas are an ideal way to serve a nutritious meal to your family and get in the swing of easy casual living at the same time.
Make ahead of time!
Here's a bonus. These fajita packets can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you're ready to put them on the grill. You can make them a day in advance.
If you want to store them longer than a day, I'd suggest preparing the chicken and veggies, but storing them separately in sealed containers in the fridge.
I make these foil pack chicken fajitas for our summer boat camping trips. With dinner prepared and packed up in neat and tidy foil packets, we have time to enjoy being outdoors instead of spending time making meals.
So let's get an assembly line going and make some simple but delicious grilled fajita chicken!
Screenshot this for a shopping list!
- ▢4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- ▢3 tbsp taco seasoning mix (or more)
- ▢1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ▢3 bell peppers, 1 each of red, yellow and orange, thinly sliced
- ▢1 tsp smoked paprika (optional, but very good!)
- ▢1 lime
- ▢1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ▢2 avocados
- ▢2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ▢1 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ▢¼ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- ▢2 oz (50 gm) tortilla chips (for garnish)
- First, slice the bell peppers (one red, one orange and one yellow) and the red onions. Try to keep the peppers all the same size (no more than ½" wide) so they will all cook at the same rate.
- Next, slice the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into thin strips, toss with a little olive oil and sprinkle with homemade taco seasoning mix.
- Arrange the chicken strips with the peppers and red onions on a square of heavy-duty foil (lined with parchment paper if you don't like your food touching foil).
- Drizzle the veggies with a little extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika if you like, add a squeeze of lime juice and wrap them up into packets.
- Fold the foil loosely over the chicken and peppers, securing the ends, but allow a little space for heat to circulate. Refrigerate until you are ready to grill.
👍🏼These Foil Pack Chicken Fajitas cook quickly
Cook the packets on the grill over medium heat. They'll only take 20 - 25 minutes. Then carefully open the foil packets to let the steam escape slowly. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
If you aren't able to grill the fajitas, you can always bake them in the oven at 425° for 15 to 20 minutes.
Pass the forks, serve with plenty of tortilla chips and dig in!
Love fajitas? Try these ones, too.
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Easy Chicken Fajitas in Foil Packets
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix * see recipe in Notes below
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers 1 each of red, yellow and orange, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 avocados
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 2 oz (50 gm) tortilla chips for garnish
- Cut four squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil, about 16 inches square.
- Lay out on your counter and top each with a 16-inch square of parchment paper (optional)
- Slice chicken breasts crosswise into thin strips. Toss with a little olive oil and up to 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning mix. Place one breast on each of the foil/parchment paper squares.
- Divide peppers and onions evenly and arrange beside each of the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the peppersand onions with ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, if desired. Drizzle the chicken and peppers with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Squeeze a little lime juice on each.
- Fold foil loosely over chicken securing ends, but allowing a little space for heat to circulate. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Grill over medium heat, checking for doneness after 20 minutes. Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the thickest pice of chicken registers 165°F.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with sliced avocados or homemade guacamole,cherry tomatoes, sour cream, and tortilla chips.