Celebrate crisp fall days with this easy one-pan chicken dinner, ready in 30 minutes! Crispy bits of prosciutto, warm pears, and tender chicken, all bathed in a white wine sauce make this a meal that's easy enough for quick weeknight cooking, but worthy of sharing at a dinner party, as well.
This one-pan chicken with prosciutto, pears, and parmesan cheese has it all: tender juicy chicken, melted cheese, and that sweet and salty contrast we crave! And to top it all off, it's made in one pan. Minimal fuss, minimal clean-up.
You can use any variety of pear for this recipe, but a firm pear, like Anjou or Bosc will hold up nicely once baked in this recipe.
While I know I have more than 50 chicken recipes on this blog, and while I know I often say this Easy Thai Baked Chicken or these Honey Dijon Turmeric Chicken Thighs are my favourite, honestly, this chicken with prosciutto and pears is my new favourite!
I made it several times to test and perfect it. I discovered that re-heated leftovers are delicious, too!
Those crispy bits of prosciutto, warm pears, and tender chicken, all bathed in a white wine sauce make this a meal that's easy enough for quick weeknight cooking, but worthy of sharing at a dinner party, as well.
While most of the recipes here are gluten-free, you'll notice that I've provided options for coating the chicken. All-purpose flour is the traditional choice, but I tested it with both spelt flour and gluten-free flour and both turned out just fine.
I used Parmigiano-Reggiano and Asiago cheese for this chicken with prosciutto recipe because I like their rich, sharp flavours, but you could use your favourite cheese, or whatever you have on hand.
Complete step-by-step instructions to make this one-pan chicken with prosciutto dish are in the recipe card below. Here's a quick overview.
- Fry the prosciutto until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Rub chicken with olive oil and season with thyme, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Toss with flour until well coated.
- Add chicken to the skillet and sear on each side until nicely browned. Reduce heat, then add wine and broth. Simmer until cooked through.
- Tuck the sliced pears around the chicken pieces and drizzle with honey. Add the crisp prosciutto as well.
- Sprinkle with cheese and transfer skillet to oven. Roast for 5 minutes or until the pears have softened slightly and the cheese has melted.
Make ahead of time
You can make most of this recipe for chicken with prosciutto and cheese ahead of time.
- fry the prosciutto and set aside
- sear the chicken
- add the sauce ingredients
- simmer until the chicken is cooked
- refrigerate or freeze
- when you're ready to serve, reheat the chicken and add the prosciutto, pears, honey, and parmesan. Heat until the pears are slightly tender and the cheese has melted.
When you make this chicken dish with pears and prosciutto, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
One-Pan Chicken with Prosciutto Pears and Parmesan
- 4-6 slices prosciutto cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 ½ lbs boneless chicken, thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium lemon, zest of
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup flour (all-purpose, spelt or gluten-free)
- ¾ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large pear cored and cut into ⅛ths, no need to peel
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Asiago cheese, coarsely grated
- Heat oven to 400°F. Fry prosciutto in a large oven-proof skillet on the stove top until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- If chicken breasts are large, cut in half. Rub chicken with olive oil and season with thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Toss with flour until well coated.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add chicken and sear for 4 - 5 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add wine and broth. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink. If not serving right away, you can prepare the dish to this point, then refrigerate (or freeze) and reheat just before serving.
- Tuck sliced pears in around the chicken pieces and drizzle with honey. Add the crisp prosciutto into the skillet as well. Sprinkle with cheese and transfer skillet to oven. Roast for 5 minutes or until pears have softened slightly and cheese has melted. Serve.
You're right--this dish is just as good as leftovers! We loved the sweet and salty flavors.
Flavour & Savour
That sweet and salty contrast is my favourite thing about this chicken dish! Thanks for stopping by.