Celebrating crisp fall days with this easy one-pan chicken dinner, ready in 30 minutes!
This one-pan chicken with prosciutto, pears and parmesan cheese has it all: tender juicy chicken, melted cheese and that sweet and salty contrast we crave! And to top it all off, it’s made in one pan. Minimal fuss, minimal clean-up.
We planted a pear tree last year, but it didn’t reward us with any pears this summer. We’re keeping our fingers crossed for next year. Luckily, however, we received a bag of pears from friends and they became the inspiration for this chicken dinner.
While I know I have 50 chicken recipes on this blog, and while I know I often say this Easy Thai Baked Chicken or this Honey Mustard Chicken with Turmeric is my favourite, honestly, this chicken with prosciutto and pears is my new favourite! I made it several times to test it and perfect it and we discovered that re-heated leftovers are delicious, too.
Those crispy bits of prosciutto, warm pears, and tender chicken, all bathed in a white wine sauce make this a meal that’s easy enough for quick weeknight cooking, but worthy of sharing at a dinner party, as well.
While most of the recipes here are gluten-free, you’ll notice that I’ve provided options for coating the chicken. All-purpose flour is the traditional choice, but I tested it with both spelt flour and a gluten-free flour and both turned out just fine.
I used Parmigiano-Reggiano and Asiago cheese for this recipe because I like their rich, sharp flavours, but you could use your favourite cheese, or whatever you have on hand.
Another plus? You can make this most of this chicken with prosciutto recipe ahead of time.
- fry the prosciutto and set aside
- sear the chicken
- add the sauce ingredients
- simmer until the chicken is cooked
- refrigerate or freeze
- when you’re ready to serve, reheat the chicken and add the prosciutto, pears, honey and parmesan and heat until pears are slightly tender and cheese has melted.
One-Pan Chicken with Prosciutto Pears and Parmesan
- 4-6 slices prosciutto cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, OR 4 to 6 breasts depending on size
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- zest of one lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flour (all-purpose, spelt or gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large or 2 small pears, cored and cut into 1/8ths, no need to peel
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Asiago cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F. Fry prosciutto in a large oven-proof skillet on the stove top until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- If chicken breasts are large, cut in half. Rub chicken with olive oil and season with thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Toss with flour until well coated.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add chicken and sear for 4 - 5 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add wine and broth. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink. If not serving right away, you can prepare the dish to this point, then refrigerate (or freeze) and reheat just before serving.
- Tuck sliced pears in around the chicken pieces and drizzle with honey. Add the crisp prosciutto into the skillet as well. Sprinkle with cheese and transfer skillet to oven. Roast for 5 minutes or until pears have softened slightly and cheese has melted. Serve.
Like this recipe? Pin it for later! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe.