These Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes are roasted then drizzled with garlic-herb butter and topped with Parmesan. Soft inside with crispy edges, these savoury oven-roasted sweet potatoes make an ideal make-ahead side dish for fall and winter meals.
Are you ready for an amazing sweet potato side dish? You're going to love these Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes! While mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes are both traditional holiday side dishes, these crispy smashed sweet potatoes make a nice change!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Oven-roasted. Perfect for Thanksgiving or any holiday meal, these smashed sweet potatoes caramelize and brown as they roast in the oven.
- So much flavour! They're drizzled with a flavourful rosemary garlic butter, topped with fresh cracked pepper and Parmesan cheese then returned to the oven to become perfectly browned and crispy.
- An easy-make ahead savory side dish. Mashed sweet potatoes are a popular holiday side. I've never been a fan of sweet potato side dishes topped with marshmallows. Savory sweet potato recipes have always been my favourite, as sweet potatoes are naturally sweet.
- One pan meals are life-savers, especially for holiday dinners. These Italian-inspired sweet potatoes are cooked on one baking sheet. Minimal clean-up. No boiling required!
- No need to boil first! Not only does roasting the potatoes add more flavour and texture, it eliminates the need to boil the potatoes first, which can result in overcooking and the risk of having the potatoes fall apart.
I make these Make-Ahead Duchess Sweet Potatoes for special dinners, and these Baby Hasselback Sweet Potatoes whenever I can find those baby ones in the supermarket. Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges are my choice to serve with burgers.
But are you ready to make one of the best savoury Thanksgiving sweet potato side dishes?
- sweet potatoes: medium sized. Leaving the skins on adds nutrition and fiber and prevents the sweet potatoes from falling apart.
- olive oil: for even browning and a crispy exterior
- butter: for amazing flavour
- garlic: because . . . garlic!
- rosemary: to infuse the butter with wonderful herb flavour
- Parmesan cheese: makes a crispy, chewy topping
- Italian herbs: thyme, oregano, parsley for garnishing
How to make smashed sweet potatoes
- Begin by cutting the sweet potatoes into rounds approximately 1 inch thick. Cut them all the same size so they cook evenly.
- Toss with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until fork-tender.
- While they're roasting, heat butter and cook gently with garlic and rosemary to make herb-infused garlic butter.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, smash with the base of a drinking glass, then drizzle with the rosemary-garlic butter.
- Top with more freshly cracked pepper and Parmesan cheese and return to the oven to melt the cheese and crisp the edges.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve hot!
👍🏼 Tips and FAQ's
Mashed sweet potatoes are boiled, then mashed or pureed with butter and milk to make a creamy side dish. Sometimes they're topped with brown sugar or marshmallows. Smashed sweet potatoes are roasted, then gently pressed and topped with butter or sometimes cheese before being returned to the oven. They have a crispy texture.´
Gently pressing down with the base of a drinking glass works well for me. You want to squash them until they are about ¾ inch thick, so they will become crisp in the oven. Don't worry if you smash them too thin or if they don't end up in perfect rounds! They'll still be delicious!
🔁 Possible variations
Besides drizzling with rosemary-garlic butter, you can add extra toppings to these smashed sweet potatoes.
- You'll make a whack of new friends when you bring a tray of these to a potluck topped with crumbled bacon bits.
- Add thinly sliced green onions or chives.
- Add thin strips of prosciutto before putting back in the oven. Crispy prosciutto adds a ton of flavour!
🍽 Serving Ideas
This sweet potato side dish goes well with almost anything! Try it with:
- Easy Baked Lemon Chicken
- Easiest Chicken Saltimbocca
- Cranberry Rosemary Boneless Chicken Thighs
- One Pan Baked Lemon Artichoke Chicken
- 30-Minute Creamy Lemon Salmon Piccata
- Air Fryer Rolled Stuffed Turkey Breasts
How to store and reheat
Refrigerate leftover potatoes promptly. These Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes will last covered in the fridge for 3 days. Reheat in the oven at 350°F. until sizzling.
Enjoy! When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. Thanks!
🗒 More side dish recipes
Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary,, stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Italian herbs: thyme, oregano, parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, but leave skin on.
- Cut into rounds 1 inch thick. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and space apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 22-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat 3 tablespoons butter with minced garlic and chopped rosemary over medium heat until garlic is tender and rosemary is fragrant.
- Remove the baking sheet of sweet potatoes from oven. Flatten each sweet potato round to ¾ inch thick by pressing with the base of a drinking glass. Drizzle with a teaspoon or so of the garlic rosemary butter. Divide the Parmesan cheese evenly, sprinkling on top of each round. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes until edges are crispy and cheese has melted.
- Garnish with fresh or dried thyme, oregano and parsley and serve.