These savoury Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes are roasted then drizzled with garlic-herb butter and topped with Parmesan. An ideal side dish for fall and winter meals.
Are you ready for an amazing sweet potato side dish? You're going to love these Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes!
Perfect for Thanksgiving or any holiday meal, these smashed sweet potatoes caramelize and brown as they roast in the oven. They're drizzled with a flavourful rosemary garlic butter, topped with fresh cracked pepper and Parmesan cheese then returned to the oven to become perfectly browned and crispy.
Mashed sweet potatoes are a popular holiday side. I've never been a fan of sweet potato side dishes topped with marshmallows. Savory sweet potato recipes have always been my favourite, as sweet potatoes are naturally sweet.
I make these Make-Ahead Duchess Sweet Potatoes for special dinners, and these Baby Hasselback Sweet Potatoes whenever I can find those baby ones in the supermarket. Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges are my choice to serve with burgers.
One pan meals are life-savers, especially for holiday dinners. These Italian-inspired sweet potatoes are cooked on one baking sheet. Minimal clean-up. No boiling required!
Not only does roasting the potatoes add more flavour and texture, it eliminates the need to boil the potatoes first, which can result in overcooking and the risk of having the potatoes fall apart.
Ready to make one of the best Thanksgiving sweet potato side dishes?
Ingredients for Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- sweet potatoes: medium sized. Leaving the skins on adds nutrition and fiber and prevents the sweet potatoes from falling apart.
- olive oil: for even browning and a crispy exterior
- butter: for amazing flavour
- garlic: because . . . garlic!
- rosemary: to infuse the butter with wonderful herb flavour
- Parmesan cheese: makes a crispy, chewy topping
- Italian herbs: thyme, oregano, parsley for garnishing
How to Prepare Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Begin by cutting the sweet potatoes into rounds approximately 1 inch thick. Cut them all the same size so they cook evenly.
- Toss with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until fork tender.
- While they're roasting, heat butter and cook gently with garlic and rosemary to make a herb-infused garlic butter.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, smash with the base of a drinking glass, then drizzle with the rosemary-garlic butter.
- Top with more freshly cracked pepper and Parmesan cheese and return to the oven to melt the cheese and crisp the edges.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve hot!
Besides drizzling with rosemary-garlic butter, you can add extra toppings to these smashed sweet potatoes
- You'll make a whack of new friends when you bring a tray of these to a potluck topped with crumbled bacon bits.
- Add thinly sliced green onions or chives.
- Add thin strips of prosciutto before putting back in the oven. Crispy prosciutto adds a ton of flavour!
What to serve with Rosemary Garlic Sweet Potatoes
This sweet potato side dish goes well with almost anything! Try it with:
- Easy Baked Lemon Chicken
- Easiest Chicken Saltimbocca
- Cranberry Rosemary Boneless Chicken Thighs
- One Pan Baked Lemon Artichoke Chicken
- 30-Minute Creamy Lemon Salmon Piccata
How to Store
These Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes will last covered in the fridge for 3 days. Reheat at 350°F until sizzling.
Rosemary Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Italian herbs: thyme, oregano, parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, but leave skin on.
- Cut into rounds 1 inch thick. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and space apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 22-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat 3 tablespoons butter with minced garlic and chopped rosemary over medium heat until garlic is tender and rosemary is fragrant.
- Remove the baking sheet of sweet potatoes from oven. Flatten each sweet potato round to 3/4 inch thick by pressing with the base of a drinking glass. Drizzle with a teaspoon or so of the garlic rosemary butter. Divide the Parmesan cheese evenly, sprinkling on top of each round. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes until edges are crispy and cheese has melted.
- Garnish with fresh or dried thyme, oregano and parsley and serve.
Kitchen Items I recommend
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.