Richly flavoured, this creamy mushroom soup is creamy without any cream! It's a plant-based vegan mushroom soup recipe made with mushrooms and cauliflower that's also gluten-free! Easy to make and easy to freeze for busy days.
Once the days get shorter and the nights become cooler, it's soup season in my home. From my favourite carrot ginger soup to instant pot minestrone soup to chicken pho every week finds me simmering a different pot of soup. Sometimes I cook it in a soup pot on the stove top, other times in an Instant Pot or a slow cooker.
I like to make a big pot of healthy soup, use what I need and freeze the rest for another day.
Soup is easy to make gluten-free, dairy-free and even vegan. I can fill it full of healthy vegetables and add a protein source if I like. Soup is simply the best!
❤️ Why this recipe works
- Creamy without the cream! This cream of mushroom soup is dairy-free. Instead of using heavy cream, it relies on healthy, nutrient-rich cauliflower to achieve the same creamy texture as a soup recipe made with cream.
- It's freezable. Make ahead and freeze for busy days.
- It doesn't need coconut milk to make it creamy. Cauliflower does the trick without adding any strong flavour to overpower the earthy mushrooms.
- This is a soup that the whole family will love, it's not just for mushroom lovers!
Love smooth and creamy soup recipes that don't contain cream? Try these favourites.
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup Shooters
- Family Favourite Carrot Ginger Soup
Guaranteed to please.
🛒 Ingredients for plant-based mushroom soup
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. But before we get to the full recipe, here are a few notes about some of the key ingredients.
- fresh mushrooms: I like to use cremini mushrooms in this recipe. They're sometimes called Baby Bella mushrooms.
- leeks: for a mild flavour, leeks are more delicate and sweeter than onions.
- celery: gives a subtle, natural savoury flavour to this soup recipe.
- tamari: is darker, less salty than soy sauce, is usually gluten-free, and gives this mushroom soup a strong umami flavour.
- garlic: use fresh cloves
- fresh thyme leaves: a perfect herb for this recipe.
- vegetable broth: either homemade or store-bought.
- cauliflower: thickens the soup, adding a creamy texture and extra nutrients.
🔪 How to make the best creamy mushroom soup
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this vegan mushroom soup recipe perfectly. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Start by preparing all the ingredients. Thoroughly wash, then slice the leeks (white and light green parts only). Roughly chop the cauliflower into florets and dice the celery.
Slice the mushrooms, give the garlic a rough chop and remove the thyme leaves from their stems.
Over medium-high heat, Sauté the celery and leeks with ¼ teaspoon salt until softened but not browned. Add the mushrooms and cook until most of their liquid has been released (about 10 minutes.)
Next, add the tamari, garlic and thyme to the pot and stir for two minutes. Once the garlic has softened, add the vegetable broth and cauliflower florets.
Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. Check the cauliflower with a fork. If it has completely softened, it's time to blend the soup. I like to add a generous squeeze of lemon juice to balance the flavours, then check to see if it needs salt and pepper.
Blend until smooth. If you like it thinner, you can add a little water until you've reached your desired consistency.
This cream of mushroom soup is made without cream, so you don't have to worry about it separating. Because the soup has been blended, you won't find that the mushrooms become rubbery, as you might if you left them whole or in larger pieces. Freeze this soup in labelled airtight containers for up to 3 months or so.
🔁 Possible variations
If you cook with wine, you can add a flavour boost of ¼ cup or so of red wine, Port or sherry at the same time that you add the tamari.
You'll need a
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- heavy-bottomed soup pot, or Dutch oven
- blender or an immersion blender
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Creamy soups like this mushroom soup need crunchy toppings to balance their texture. I like to top a bowl of piping hot soup with either gluten-free homemade croutons or polenta croutons.
But don't stop there! How about any of the following soup toppers?
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- toasted sage leaves
- crispy fried sliced mushrooms
- a swirl of sour cream or vegan sour cream
- a drizzle of coconut milk
- fresh herbs
or any of the 20 or so delicious ideas in this collection of Healthy Soup Topping Ideas.
⏰ Storage Instructions
To store: Store leftover soup in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It's just as delicious on the second day!
To reheat: Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave.
Freeze it: Freeze this creamy mushroom soup in airtight containers for up to 3 months.
Make a pot of soup today! Light the fire, grab a blanket and cozy up with a warm bowl of nutritious, creamy mushroom soup.
🗒 More healthy soup recipes
When you make this cream of mushroom soup with cauliflower, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Creamy Mushroom Soup with Cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 medium leeks, white and green parts only
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons tamari, gluten-free
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound cauliflower, about ½ large head
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by preparing all the ingredients. Wash and thinly slice the leeks, dice the celery, slice the mushrooms, coarsely chop the garlic and remove the thyme leaves from their stems.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.. Add the celery and leeks with ¼ teaspoon salt and sauté until softened, but not browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they have released their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tamari, garlic and thyme and cook for 2 minutes until the garlic has softened.
- Next add the vegetable broth and cauliflower florets. Turn the heat to simmer and cook uncovered until the cauliflower has completely softened.
- Add a generous squeeze of freshly squeezed lemon juice, taste and add sea salt and pepper if necessary.
- If you prefer a thinner soup, add a little water until you've reached the desired consistency.
- Blend in batch until smooth. Stir all together, then serve hot with crunchy croutons, toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts or any of the suggested toppings in the post.
This soup is SO good! It's perfectly creamy with lots of flavor. I made a batch and froze half of it in individual portions. Turned out great.
Thanks Viv! Great idea to freeze some for another day.