This Pomegranate Mandarin Salad with Avocado and Feta is a festive salad for a winter meal or holiday potluck! Serve it as a Christmas salad in a holiday wreath shape, just for fun.
Winter holidays always make me crave mandarin oranges. While I love eating them as a healthy snack, adding them to salads like this Pomegranate Mandarin Salad (or this Kiwi Mandarin Spinach Salad) perks up my daily dose of leafy greens as well.
This gorgeous orange and romaine salad is bursting with Vitamin C-rich fruit, crunchy pecans and creamy avocado. It's topped with crumbled feta or goat cheese.
Make it festive by serving it as a holiday wreath in a round serving dish, decked out with cheerful coloured fruits and nuts, tiny pomegranate jewels and sprinkled with a little feta "snow" on top.
Fresh, crisp and colourful! This is a 5-star Christmas salad!
❤️ 4 reasons to make this pomegranate mandarin salad soon!
There's no need to wait for a holiday dinner to make this beautiful winter salad with oranges. Enjoy it any day of the week!
- It tastes amazing. A romaine salad with oranges is always a popular choice!
- Every bite is fresh, juicy and nutritious.
- It looks beautiful on a holiday buffet table.
- It will brighten up any dull winter day!
Upcoming potluck or holiday dinner? Let's make this Holiday Wreath Salad! You'll find ingredient amounts in the recipe card below.
- romaine lettuce: I like the crispness of romaine or butter lettuce in this salad as it supports the other ingredients and prevents them from falling to the bottom of the bowl. You can also add in a few other mixed greens or even some massaged kale if you'd like, but I recommend starting with a bed of crisp greens.
- mandarin oranges: Or any of the sweet easy-to peel varieties of oranges, like Satsuma, clementines or tangerines. Use organic if they're available where you live.
- cucumber: Scrub the cucumber, but leave the peel on for added colour.
- avocado: Peel and slice just before serving to prevent browning, or dip in a little diluted lemon juice.
- pomegranate arils: These look like little festive holiday lights brightening up this potluck winter salad!
- pecans: Lightly toasting them brings out their natural flavour.
- feta cheese: Crumbled on top, it resembles snow! Substitute goat cheese if you'd like, or leave it off to keep this salad vegan and dairy-free.
- vinaigrette: A simple citrus vinaigrette made with olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, shallots, Dijon and a touch of honey dresses this Christmas salad beautifully.
- Arrange healthy crisp greens in a round shallow bowl or platter around a central dish that will hold the citrus vinaigrette.
- Then, top with mandarin orange segments (or other varieties of orange), cucumber, sliced avocado and pomegranate arils. If you're not serving this salad right away, add the avocado just before serving.
- Finish by sprinkling with toasted pecans and a light dusting of feta cheese crumbles.
🔁 Possible Substitutions
- If you can't find a pomegranate or fresh or frozen pomegranate arils, you can substitute blueberries or raspberries or even dried cranberries.
- Use a mix of salad greens instead of romaine. You can mix fresh spring greens with butter lettuce, iceberg lettuce or chopped, massaged kale.
- Use whatever fresh oranges are available where you live. If that's not an option, you could use canned mandarin oranges.
- Substitute goat cheese for the feta cheese if you'd like.
- Keep the red and green holiday theme by substituting shelled green pistachios for the pecans!
- This holiday wreath salad is also absolutely delicious with slightly sweet poppyseed dressing! You'll find my dressing recipe in this Strawberry Kale Salad with Poppyseed Dressing.
Running the peeled oranges under cool running water and using a soft vegetable brush helps make this job go a lot faster. Sometimes a sharp paring knife will work, too.
Removing the white pith is probably the most time-consuming part of making this wreath salad!
⏰ Can I make this Christmas Wreath Salad ahead of time?
Yes! You can make the citrus vinaigrette up to three days ahead of time. Make this holiday salad a day in advance, then cover and refrigerate. Add avocado slices and drizzle with the slightly sweet citrus dressing (or poppyseed dressing) just before serving.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Here are a few ideas for when to serve this holiday wreath salad!
Add it to your traditional turkey dinner, or serve it with one of these main dishes:
- Air Fryer Rolled Stuffed Turkey Breast - so convenient!
- Cranberry-Rosemary Boneless Chicken Thighs - oh-so-good!
- Easy Baked Lemon Chicken - always a favourite.
- Pistachio-Crusted Salmon - salmon for a change!
- Easiest Chicken Saltimbocca - an elegant but easy chicken dish.
- Cranberry Glazed Chili Chicken Wings - easy to make and festive!
- Paleo Hoisin Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs - always a popular choice.
🗒 More Citrus Fruit Salad Recipes
If you love adding citrus fruit to salads as much as I do, you may like these too!
Enjoy every healthy bite!
🗒More salad recipe ideas
When you make this Christmas Wreath Salad, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
This recipe was originally published in 2016. It has been updated with new photos and information. The recipe remains the same!
Pomegranate Mandarin Salad with Avocado and Feta
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, or other crisp mixed greens
- 1 medium long English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 mandarin oranges peeled and sectioned, pith removed
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup pecans toasted
- ½ cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, or Champagne vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon each sea salt and pepper
- To make a wreath-shaped salad, place a small bowl for the vinaigrette in the centre of a larger round shallow bowl or platter.
- Arrange bite-sized pieces of romaine or other greens in the bowl around the small dish. Top with remaining ingredients, finishing with feta cheese and pecans.
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together and pour into the small bowl in the center of the serving bowl.
- Serve and drizzle vinaigrette over all just before serving.