This Pomegranate Mandarin Salad with Avocado and Feta is a festive salad for any winter meal! Serve it as a holiday wreath, just for fun.
The holidays always make me crave mandarin oranges. While I love just eating them as a healthy snack, adding them to salads like this Pomegranate Mandarin Salad perks up my daily dose of leafy greens as well.
If you’re my age, you’ll probably remember that mandarins were only available for a short time every winter, and never until the beginning of December. They came individually wrapped in thin green tissue papers in small wooden (yup, wooden) boxes. To us kids, their arrival in the stores meant that Christmas couldn’t be far behind, and that in itself was cause for great excitement. At school, our Christmas gift from our teacher was always a mandarin orange and a candy cane. It was a big deal to see who could remove the peel from their orange in one piece.
Today, the boxes are smaller, they’re made of cardboard, but the oranges are just as sweet and delicious!
This gorgeous salad is bursting with Vitamin C-rich fruit, crunchy pecans and creamy avocado, and it’s topped with crumbled feta or goat cheese. Make it festive by serving it as a holiday wreath in a round serving dish, decked out with cheerful coloured fruits and nuts, tiny pomegranate jewels and sprinkled with a little feta “snow” on top.
Or you can keep it dairy-free by omitting the feta, if you like.
Make this holiday wreath salad to add some fun to your winter meals! Arrange healthy crispy greens in a round shallow bowl or platter around a central dish that will hold the citrus vinaigrette. Then, top with mandarin orange segments, sliced avocado, pomegranate arils and finish with feta cheese and pecans. Make this pretty salad ahead of time, refrigerate, and add avocado slices and drizzle with the slightly sweet citrus dressing just before serving.
3 Reasons to make this Pomegranate Mandarin Salad today
- it tastes amazing
- every bite is fresh, juicy and nutritious
- it will brighten up any dull winter day!
- 4 cups romaine lettuce or crisp mixed greens
- 1 long English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 mandarin oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/3 cup pecans toasted
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeeze
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar or Champagne vinegar
- 1 small shallot finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon each, sea salt and pepper
- To make a wreath-shaped salad, place a small bowl for the vinaigrette in the centre of a larger round shallow bowl or platter.
- Arrange bite-sized pieces of romaine or other greens in the bowl around the small dish. Top with remaining ingredients, finishing with feta cheese and pecans.
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together and pour into the small bowl in the center of the serving bowl.
- Serve and drizzle vinaigrette over all just before serving.
If you're not serving this salad right away, add the avocado just before serving to prevent browning.
You'll have dressing left over for another salad, so nutrition label does not include dressing.
If you love adding citrus fruit to salads, you may like these too!