Maple syrup, bourbon and fresh wild-caught salmon bring a taste of Canada to your table.
Bourbon Maple Glazed Salmon, Whisky Maple Glazed Salmon . . . whatever you want to call it, it's delicious!
This salmon! If you like salmon as much as I do, I really hope you get a chance to make this recipe. This Bourbon Maple Glazed Salmon is so simple, but so incredibly good. It's a little sweet, a little mustardy, it has hints of lemon and dill hiding in there. Bourbon gives it some depth and, of course, a catchy name which makes you want to dive in and try it.
So I sincerely hope you do.
Wild Salmon makes a healthy meal
This week we were the lucky recipients of two large fresh wild-caught salmon fillets! My daughter-in-law and son each reeled in two salmon during one of those recent sunny days and they shared some of their catch with us.
It was a very welcome gift: Denis and I had been out boating as well that day, setting the prawn traps. After a full day, we had the grand total of TWO prawns, (which we promptly let go).
Salmon is such a powerhouse of all things that are good for you. If it's cooked properly, there's nothing quite so delicious.
I have several favourite salmon recipes here on the blog, including Citrus Glazed Baked Salmon with Sake, Paleo Pistachio-Crusted Salmon, and Creamy Lemon Salmon Piccata. This time, I decided to top the salmon with something different. I adapted a recipe from Eric Akis that I found in Bill Jones Salmon, The Cookbook.
We devoured this Bourbon Maple Glazed Salmon and have added it to our "must make this again" list.
How to make Bourbon Glazed Salmon
- Heat oven to 400° F.. Pat the salmon pieces dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- When the oil ripples, add the salmon, skin side up. Give the pan a little shake to evenly distribute the oil and prevent sticking.
- Sear for 2 minutes, then using tongs or a fish turner, carefully flip the salmon and sear on the other side for 2 minutes.
- Pour glaze over all.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 8 - 12 minutes, or until fish begins to flake with a fork. Time will depend on the thickness of the fillet. Spoon pan juices over top and serve.
Do you see that Bourbon maple glaze keeping all the juices safely tucked inside the salmon?
What to serve with Whisky Maple Glazed Salmon
I served this salmon with baby Crispy Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes and some lightly steamed green veggies, and I added some extra lemon slices to squeeze over it all. It's also delicious with these recipes:
- Honey-Dijon Broccoli Salad
- Baby Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges
- Grilled Lemon Garlic Potato Kabobs
This Bourbon Maple Glazed Salmon
- is an easy 3-step recipe: sear it, smother it, and bake it.
- is a delicious way to get omega-3 fatty acids in your diet
- is a simple recipe to adjust. Want it spicier? add a little more mustard. Like it less sweet? Reduce the maple syrup and add a little more lemon.
- can be prepared ahead of time. Whisk the glaze ingredients together and refrigerate until you're ready to cook.
Bourbon Maple Glazed Salmon
- 2 wild-caught salmon fillets 4 - 5 oz. each (120- 150 gm each)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp bourbon (or whiskey)
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill or 2 tsp fresh dill
- lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thoroughly pat the salmon dry. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Whisk maple syrup, bourbon, mustard, lemon juice and dill and set this glaze aside.
- Heat oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. When oil begins to ripple, carefully add salmon fillets, skin side up. Sear for 2 minutes, then turn and sear on the other side for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Pour bourbon-maple glaze over the salmon. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 10 minutes or just until fish flakes slightly with a fork. Do not overcook.
- Arrange on plates or serving platter. Drizzle with pan juices, garnish with lemon slices and serve right away.
More Wild Salmon Inspiration!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.