Wrapped with a chive ribbon, these Vegetarian Green Bean Bundles will add a "wow" factor to a special meal. Drizzled with garlic browned butter, they make a spectacular side dish. Keto-friendly.
Looking for a showstopper side dish? Try these Vegetarian Green Bean Bundles with Garlic Butter!
My garden is overflowing with green beans! They all seem to ripen at once! This same scenario replays itself every year and every Spring I plant less, but beans seem to thrive in my garden.
I've made these Sesame Ginger Green Beans and this Green Bean Blue Cheese Salad to try to create some variety in our meals. I've even made these Refrigerator Pickled Beans. And there are still more beans!
Today I decided to try something new. I found a recipe for Green Bean Bundles wrapped in bacon, but I decided to make this recipe meat-free, and these Vegetarian Green Bean Bundles with Garlic Butter were the result!
They're tasty and they make a beautiful presentation.
Would I make these for a simple weeknight dinner? Probably not, but for a holiday dinner like Thanksgiving or Christmas, they will make a spectacular vegetarian side dish.
How to make Green Bean Bundles
- Trim the stem end of the beans by snapping or cutting it off. You can remove the tip if desired. I like to leave it on.
- Lay a long strip of chive (or green onion if you don't have chives) on your work surface. (Update: chives are stronger than green onions, which may tend to break, depending on how fresh they are.)
- Divide the beans into serving size bundles, add 3 thin red bell pepper strips to each one. Lay the bundles across the chives. Tie the chives around the bundles with a knot to secure them.
- Steam for 3 - 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat butter in a small skillet, add garlic and swirl until butter turns brown. Add a little olive oil.
- Transfer green bean bundles to a serving platter and drizzle with garlic butter. Serve!
- See Recipe Notes below for tips for making these Vegetarian Green Bean Bundles ahead of time.
Vegetarian Green Bean Bundles with Garlic Butter
- 1 lb green beans about 48 beans
- 12 thin slices red bell pepper
- 4 long chives
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and trim the beans by snapping off the stem end.
- Divide the beans into 4 portions (about 12 beans each). Lay a long chive on your work surface and place one portion of beans and three red pepper strips across it. Wrap the chive around the bundle and carefully tie a knot to secure it.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pan with a steamer basket. Steam the bundles for 3 - 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet. Add the minced garlic and swirl just until the butter browns, about 2 - 3 minutes. Add olive oil.
- Transfer green bean bundles to a serving platter and drizzle with the garlic butter. Serve immediately OR keep the steamed bundles warm in a low oven (225°F) for up to 20 minutes and add the warm garlic butter just before serving.
This recipe was adapted from Olive Oil Market Place .