Try this white wine Grilled Pineapple Strawberry Sangria at your next outdoor party! Grilling the pineapple brings out its natural sweetness and adds flavour to this fruity, bubbly summer sangria.
Grilled Pineapple Strawberry Sangria! Another refreshing summer sangria recipe to add to my collection!
If you've followed along with me for a while, you'll know that I'm a confirmed fan of Sangria. Combining a glass of wine with chopped fruit and fruit juices makes a perfect celebratory drink, in my view. Today I'm celebrating that Spring has finally arrived in full force here on the West Coast with this Grilled Pineapple Strawberry Sangria.
Who's ready for drinks on the deck?
While traditional Spanish Sangria is made with red wine, there are no rules! White wine Sangria is just as delicious and refreshing.
Sangria can be made and served right away, but it's much better if you allow the flavours to blend by making it several hours or even the day before you plan to serve it.
Is it necessary to grill the pineapple first?
No, but grilling brings out the natural sugars in the pineapple and adds to the sweetness of this drink. Use fresh, fully ripe strawberries and a few slices of lime to pack into a pitcher of this sparkling mix. Add pineapple juice, Triple Sec (or other orange liqueur) and a bottle of white wine. Just before serving, top off each glass with a splash of sparkling water. Garnish with a skewer of pineapple and strawberry, add a sprig of fresh mint, and serve!
What kind of wine should I use to make this Summer Sangria?
It's really up to you! In this recipe, I used a Sauvignon Blanc. Since you're already adding sweetness with fruit, juice and the Triple Sec, choose an unoaked wine on the drier side, like a dry Riesling, Pino Grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc. Leave the oaked wines, like Chardonnay, for sipping on their own.
Red or White? Sangria makes a great summertime drink!
Want something a little frosty for a hot day? You'll love this Strawberry Watermelon Sangria Slushie!
Bring on the sunny weather!
Grilled Pineapple Strawberry Sangria
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 12 - 15 fresh strawberries, whole or halved
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- 1 750 ml bottle dry white wine
- 2 cups sparkling water, (add just before serving)
- mint leaves, for garnish
- lime slices, for garnish
- Brush pineapple cubes lightly with oil to prevent sticking. Grill over medium heat until grill marks form and pineapple is warmed through and begins to caramelize. Remove from grill and set aside to cool.
- Combine pineapple, strawberries, pineapple juice, Triple Sec and white wine in a large pitcher. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours to allow flavours to blend.
- Add ice to a glass. Fill 3/4 full with Sangria and top off with sparkling water or artisan tonic water. Garnish with skewered fruit, lime slices and/or mint leaves. Serve.
This recipe was inspired by Pineapple Sangria from How Sweet It is and from Grilled Pineapple Strawberry Lemonade Sangria from Averie Cooks
You might also like this Strawberry Watermelon Sangria Slushie!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.