They're sweet, spicy, and smoky! This recipe for smoky chipotle honey-mustard glazed chicken thighs make an easy weeknight meal. A simple four-step gluten-free chicken thigh recipe all made in one pan.
❤️ Why you'll love this easy chicken thigh recipe
- Comfort food: It makes a simple comfort food meal when paired with a salad, or rice and veggies.
- Flavour: This easy chipotle glaze is a little sweet and a little spicy at the same time. Adjust the level of "heat" to your family's tastes.
- Make ahead for busy days: You can easily make the chipotle honey-mustard glaze well ahead of time and store it in the fridge or even in the freezer.
- A one-pan recipe: Brown the chicken in an oven-proof skillet, then transfer to the oven to finish baking. Fewer dishes to wash!
- It's gluten-free.
- bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- Dijon mustard
- seasoning: sea salt or Kosher salt, black pepper, ground coriander, ground cumin, sweet smoked paprika
- green onions, for garnish
This is an easy four-step recipe for the most delicious chicken thighs!
- Season the chicken with aromatic spices.
- Brown the thighs in an oven-proof skillet on the stovetop.
- Cover them with chipotle honey-mustard sauce.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake until the chicken thighs are tender and glazed.
It's sweet, it's spicy, and it's smoky and you should definitely add this to your menu plan this week!
Yes! You can shorten the oven-baking time, or simply finish cooking them on the stovetop. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure they have reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
🍽 What to serve with chipotle chicken thighs
Here are a few ideas for delicious side dishes that would complement the flavours of these Chipotle Honey-Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs:
- Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges: Cut sweet potatoes into fries toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast until crispy and caramelized.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: Brush corn with butter, sprinkle with smoked paprika, and grill until tender. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice: Cook cauliflower rice and toss it with fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, and a pinch of salt. It adds a refreshing element to the meal.
- Mango Black Bean Salad with Lemon-Lime Vinaigrette: easy to make with canned black beans, sweet mango and crunchy bell peppers.
- Crispy Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes:
- Broccoli Apple Salad: quick to make with raw broccoli, carrots, sweet apples, red onion, toasted pecans and dried cranberries.
- Mexican Corn Salad with Queso Fresco: Take advantage of summer's bounty with this Mexican corn salad with queso fresco, avocado, bell peppers and jalapeño!
- Quick Skillet Asparagus: Sauté tender asparagus spears to perfection then pair with a zesty homemade vegan aioli made with fresh lemon juice and garlic.
- Quick Refrigerator Pickled Beans: Who doesn't love a few crisp and crunchy pickles on the side?
- Gluten-Free Cheesy Herb Cornbread: Bake a batch of cheddar cornbread for a slightly spicy and cheesy side that pairs perfectly with the chicken thighs.
Remember to adjust the spice level of the side dishes according to your preference and the intensity of the chipotle honey-mustard glaze. Enjoy your meal!
🗒 More delicious chicken recipes to try
Smoky Chipotle Honey-Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs
- 8 or 9 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ½ tablespoon puréed canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoon oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry.
- Whisk together honey, chipotles, mustard and 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl.
- Put thighs in a large bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat.
- Mix sea salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, and paprika together and toss with the chicken thighs to coat, rubbing it in with your hands if necessary.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoon oil and heat until ripples form. Carefully add chicken thighs, skin-side down and shake the pan a little to prevent sticking. Brown on one side for 3-5 minutes, turn with tongs and do the same on the other side.
- Remove from heat and pour the smoky chipotle honey-mustard sauce over top.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 175°F.
- If you want to make the skin a little more crispy, place the pan under the broiler for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped green onions and serve.