Start your day off on a healthy note with this clean-eating Tropical Turmeric smoothie made from bananas and mango and flavoured with turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. It's sugar-free, dairy-free, vegan and paleo! Blend and go!
I can't think of a more cheerful way to start the day than with this Tropical Turmeric Smoothie!
I try to have lots of variety in our breakfasts, but more often than not, breakfast at our house is a smoothie. Sometimes I'm out in the garden early in the morning in my PJ's, grabbing a handful of kale and parsley as the basis for a green smoothie. This week, however, I'm on a turmeric kick, so I'm offering you this Tropical Turmeric Smoothie.
Just look at that colour! And knowing that I'm filling my body full of anti-oxidants, detoxifying my liver, (and maybe preventing Alzheimer's!) is just one more reason to sip and enjoy this smoothie.
You'll find a complete list of ingredients for this tropical turmeric smoothie in the recipe card below.
- spice mix: ground turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. Mix equal amounts of these ground spices in a small jar, store it in your spice cupboard, and it will be ready to use in this turmeric smoothie or in Warm Turmeric Cinnamon Milk. Use 2 teaspoons of this spice mix in your smoothie.
- banana: the riper the better!
- milk: plant-based
- mango: fresh or frozen
- chia seeds: add fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and many other nutrients. They also help to thicken this turmeric smoothie
- hemp hearts: rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids, as well as protein and high amounts of other vitamins and minerals. Read more about the health benefits of hemp seeds.
- black pepper: just a little to enhance the anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric
Combine a ripe banana, milk of your choice, mango chunks, spices, and some chia and hemp hearts in a blender until smooth. Taste and see if you needed sweetener or not. If the fruit was very ripe, you won't need anything extra.
Don't forget the sprinkle of black pepper to help enhance the anti-inflammatory effects of the curcumin in the turmeric!
Cheers! Here's to starting your day with a healthy breakfast.
If you like this Tropical Turmeric Smoothie recipe, leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes!
Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut milk or other plant-based milk unsweetened
- ½ medium banana, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup mango chunks, fresh or frozen
- ½ tsp each ground turmeric ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
- 1 tsp maple syrup OR honey (unless vegan) only if your fruit is not fully ripe and naturally sweet
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- dash black pepper freshly cracked
- 3 ice cubes,
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.