Start your day off on a healthy note with this clean-eating Tropical Turmeric smoothie made from bananas and mango and flavoured with turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. This mango turmeric smoothie recipe is sugar-free, dairy-free, vegan and paleo! Blend and go!
I can't think of a more cheerful way to start the day than with this Tropical Turmeric Smoothie!
I try to have lots of variety in our breakfasts, but more often than not, breakfast at our house is a smoothie. Sometimes I'm out in the garden early in the morning in my PJ's, grabbing a handful of kale and parsley or I use sprouted greens as the basis for a green smoothie. Other days, I make our favourite Mocha Almond Smoothie Bowl.
This week, however, I'm on a turmeric kick, so I'm offering you this delicious, naturally sweet mango turmeric smoothie with ginger.
👍🏼Turmeric Smoothie Benefits
- Just look at that colour! Knowing that I'm filling my body full of anti-oxidants, detoxifying my liver, (and maybe preventing Alzheimer's!) is just one more reason to sip and enjoy this turmeric smoothie.
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory, powerful medicinal spice that has anti-oxidant properties as well. It contains curcumin which has been linked to improved brain function. It may also lower our risk of heart disease and prevent, or even treat, cancer.
- Chia seeds add fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and many other nutrients.
- Hemp hearts are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids, as well as protein and high amounts of other vitamins and minerals.
- Ginger can improve digestion, reduce inflammation, lower blood sugar levels, relieve menstrual cramps and even prevent cancer.
- Mango and banana are both good sources of Vitamin C, potassium and more!
You'll find a complete list of ingredients for this tropical turmeric smoothie recipe in the recipe card below.
- spice mix: ground turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. Mix equal amounts of these ground spices in a small jar, store it in your spice cupboard, and it will be ready to use in this turmeric smoothie or in Warm Turmeric Cinnamon Milk. Use 2 teaspoons of this spice mix in your smoothie.
- banana: the riper the better! Banana adds natural sweetness.
- milk: any plant-based milk of your choice, like almond, cashew, or oat milk
- mango: fresh or frozen chunks
- chia seeds: add fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and many other nutrients. They also help to thicken this turmeric smoothie recipe.
- hemp hearts: rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids, as well as protein and high amounts of other vitamins and minerals. Read more about the health benefits of hemp seeds.
- black pepper: just a little to enhance the anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric
- Combine a ripe banana, plant-based milk of your choice, mango chunks, spices, and chia and hemp hearts in a blender until smooth.
- Taste and see if you needed sweetener or not. If the fruit was very ripe, you won't need anything extra.
- Don't forget the sprinkle of black pepper to help enhance the anti-inflammatory effects of the curcumin in the turmeric!
👍🏼How to remove turmeric stains
Turmeric's bright orange colour is beautiful, but it will stain.
If you've discovered that it has stained your countertop or your blender container, there's a simple fix.
Rub the area with a small amount of vegetable oil, followed by a general scrub with your usual cleanser to remove the stain. When I make my turmeric tonic, I drink it with a straw to avoid discolouring my teeth!
🗒 More healthy turmeric recipes
- Turmeric Pick-Me-Up
- Mango Turmeric Overnight Oats with Kefir
- Warm Turmeric Cinnamon Milk
- Honey-Mustard Chicken with Turmeric
- Thai Grilled Turmeric Chicken Kabobs
- 7 Delicious Ways to Add Turmeric to your Diet
When you make this turmeric smoothie recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing how my recipes turned out for you.
🗒 More healthy smoothie recipes
📖 Recipe Card
Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut milk or other plant-based milk unsweetened
- ½ medium banana, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup mango chunks, fresh or frozen
- ½ teaspoon each ground turmeric ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup OR honey (unless vegan) only if your fruit is not fully ripe and naturally sweet
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- dash black pepper freshly cracked
- 3 ice cubes
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.