This easy air fryer garlic parmesan chicken recipe makes the best juicy tender chicken thighs or breasts with a crispy, flavourful coating! This chicken cooks without breadcrumb coating and with very little oil. A family-friendly 30-minute meal!
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken: here's a "must-try" air fryer chicken recipe!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Who knew you could successfully make Chicken Parmesan in an air fryer!
- The juiciest chicken: You'll be shocked at how quickly an air fryer can cook the most delicious, most juicy chicken with the crispiest coating! This is one of the easiest chicken recipes I've ever made. It's hard to believe that tender juicy chicken like this can be cooked with no bread crumb coating and very little oil!
- Leftovers are delicious! Not only that, if you have cooked more than you need, it's easy to reheat and serve another day. And again, your air fryer works beautifully to make it just as good the second day as it was the first!
- Gluten-free! This recipe for Air Fryer Parmesan Chicken is gluten-free and keto-friendly, too. Ready to make what's bound to become your new favourite crispy chicken?
Once you've discovered how your air fryer can cook chicken so incredibly quickly, you'll want to try this Air Fryer Almond-Crusted Chicken and these 6 Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wing Recipes, too.
chicken: this recipe works well with both bone-in chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts or thighs.
seasoning mix: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika
Parmesan cheese: Parmigiano Reggiano has by far the best flavour and texture
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
Here's a quick summary of how to make air fryer garlic parmesan chicken. You'll find detailed instructions in the recipe card below.
- Begin by brining the chicken parts. Brining is a quick technique that makes a big difference once the chicken is cooked. It makes chicken extra juicy, so be sure not to skip this step.
- Once the chicken has been brined, rinsed, and patted dry, it's time to season it.
- Rub the spice mix into both sides of the chicken parts, then arrange in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Air fry as directed below. You'll fry the chicken parts for a few minutes, then pause the fryer, add Parmesan cheese to the chicken, then continue cooking.
Boom! Perfectly cooked chicken with the tastiest crispy coating, whether you use bone-in, skin-on chicken, or boneless, skinless chicken!
Frequently asked questions
Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs: air fry at 375°F. for 8 minutes, then pause the air fryer and remove the basket. Use tongs to flip the pieces over. Add a tablespoon or so of finely grated Parmesan cheese to the top of each thigh, then return the basket to the air fryer, reduce the temperature to 350°F. and cook for 4 minutes.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, air fry at 375°F. for 6 minutes, then pause the air fryer and remove the basket. Use tongs to flip the pieces over. Add a tablespoon or so of finely grated Parmesan cheese to the top of each breast, then return the basket to the air fryer, reduce the temperature to 350°F. and cook for 4 minutes.
NOTE: There are many different air fryers on the market and they often vary widely according to cooking times. It's best to use an instant-read meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
The cooking time will remain the same as the recipe states whether you cook two or four.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
All air fryers are different. Depending on the size and type you own, you may have to fry the chicken longer.
Air frying times will vary with the size of the chicken thighs you have, too. It's best to use an instant-read meat thermometer to check that you have cooked the wings to a temperature that is safe to eat. (165°F.)
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This air fryer parmesan-crusted chicken goes well with almost any side dishes or salads! Since it already has parmesan cheese in the coating, it's a good idea to choose sides that don't have cheese.
Serve it with your favourite side dishes, or try any of these healthy salads:
Storage and reheating instructions
Refrigerate leftover cooked chicken promptly. To reheat, brush the basket with a very thin layer of oil, then heat the chicken at 350°F. for 3 - 5 minutes or until heated through.
🗒 More Air Fryer Recipes
When you make this Ninja air fryer parmesan-crusted chicken recipe, let me know in the comments section below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- 4 medium bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs OR boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt*
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Brine the chicken parts first. Add ¼ cup salt to a bowl (or zipper-closure bag) of slightly warm water. Add the chicken thighs or breasts and let them sit in this brine for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is brining, combine the seasonings for the rub.
- Drain the salt water mixture, rinse the chicken with cool water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Toss the chicken parts with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then rub the spice mixture into both sides.
- For bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, air fry at 375°F. for 8 minutes, then pause the air fryer and remove the basket. Use tongs to flip the pieces over. For boneless, skinless breasts, air fry at 375°F. for 6 minutes.
- Place a tablespoon or so of grated parmesan cheese on top of each of hte pieces of chicken. Return the basket to the fryer and fry at 350°F. for 4 minutes (both thighs and breasts.) With an instant-read meat thermometer, check that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.
- Remove with tongs and serve.
These were delicious! I have an Instant Vortex Air Fryer, and this was my first time to use it. It took a few minutes longer to cook and they turned out crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. So Good and an easy dinner!
Thanks for commenting Birgitta! Glad they turned out well for you. Air fryers are all a little different, so cooking times can vary.
Really tasty and perfectly cooked but did not have that crispy appearance that you had in the picture. Should I have used more Parmesan?
Hi Maureen, I’m not sure what may have happened. It may have to do with the type of Parmesan used. I usually grate Parmigiano Reggiano. Hope this helps!
Simply the best. These are so easy and they always turn out perfectly. Love this recipe!
Thanks Emery! Happy to hear you liked this recipe. It's been a popular one with my readers!
This one one of the first things I made in my new air fryer. We love this chicken and I've made it 3 times this month! Great recipe. Thanks.
Flavour & Savour
Glad to hear you love it too!
Flavour & Savour
OMG We LOVED this chicken! Can't wait to try it with chicken breasts, too.
Flavor is excellent, however I had to cook my legs and thighs for 30 minutes. Following the recipe, the thighs were raw.
Hi Sharon, Thanks for your comment! Air frying times will vary with the type of air fryer you own and the size of your chicken parts. Since posting several air fryer recipes, I've discovered that my air fryer cooks more quickly than many. I'll add a note about that to this recipe. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! ❤️ It's best to use an instant-read meat thermometer to check that you have cooked the wings to a temperature that is safe to eat. (165°F.)