Sweet, smoky and savory flavors contrast in this easy Apple Cheddar Smoked Salmon Salad. Apples, pecans, cheddar cheese and smoked salmon with maple dressing!
Apple Cheddar Smoked Salmon Salad. I'm celebrating apple season and my hubby's successful summer fishing trips!
Denis was lucky to be invited on a few fishing trips this summer. As a result, our freezer is full of salmon. His most recent trip included three generations: Den, our son, and our little grandson. He came home with stories of orca and humpback whale sightings and of sea lions trying to steal salmon right off his line. But perhaps the best part for him was simply spending time on the ocean with his two favourite guys.
If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that I love creating salads. In the fall, I often make this Fennel Apple Salad with Pumpkin Spiced Pecans and this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries. Summertime brings Marinated Lemon Chicken Greek Salad , Chicken Avocado Watermelon Salad and my favourite Grilled Peach Avocado Chipotle Shrimp Salad (that apparently a lot of you like, too!)
In fact, I have more than fifteen whole-meal salads here on Flavour and Savour.
Definitely my favourite way to eat!
Today's salad features fall flavours: sweet crisp apples, sharp cheddar cheese, toasted maple pecans, smoked salmon and a maple dressing. It will serve four as a side salad or two as a main.
Let's combine all these fabulous flavours into one healthy, easy smoked salmon salad!
Ingredients for Apple Cheddar Smoked Salmon Salad
- lettuce or mixed greens
- apple: a sweet variety like Gala, Honeycrisp, or Fuji works well in this recipe. I wouldn't choose a tart Granny Smith apple for this salad.
- smoked salmon: I used hot smoked salmon, as we smoke our own wild salmon, but lox will work, too.
- cheddar cheese: aged, old, sharp is best to give that boost of flavour
- pecans: glazed with maple syrup (yum). No pecans? Walnuts are good, too.
- herbs: for garnish. I used fresh chives. Dill would also be delicious.
- Maple Dressing: maple syrup, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, sea salt
Quick and Easy to Assemble and Layer!
- Start with a bed of washed mixed greens.
- Arrange the ingredients in a shallow serving dish, starting with thinly sliced apples.
- Next, add chunks of smoked salmon, thin slices of aged cheddar cheese and maple-glazed pecans.
- Garnish the salad with a sprinkling of freshly snipped chives, dill, or parsley.
- And finally, drizzle and toss with Maple Dressing just before serving. Oh-so-good!
What to Serve with this Easy Smoked Salmon Salad
I usually make a quick batch of our favourite Herbed Gluten-Free Baking Powder Biscuits to go with this salad.
These Blueberry Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins are delicious with it, as well. Or try this Gluten-Free Cheesy Herb Cornbread.
Enjoy every crunchy, sweet 'n smoky bite!
Apple Cheddar Smoked Salmon Salad
- 4 cups mixed greens lettuce, baby spinach, etc.
- 1 medium apple
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz smoked salmon
Maple Glazed Pecans
- Dry roast pecans in a skillet over medium heat. Watch carefully stirring occasionally. When they start to brown and smell fragrant, remove the skillet from the heat. Toss with 1 tablespoon maple syrup, sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt, if desired. Spread out to cool.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar with a lid. Shake to emulsify.
Apple Cheddar Smoked Salmon Salad
- Add mixed greens in a shallow serving bowl. Arrange apple slices, smoked salmon chunks, cheddar cheese and maple-glazed pecans on top. Garnish the salad with a sprinkling of freshly snipped chives, dill, or parsley. Toss with Maple Dressing just before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.