Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This gourmet homemade Spiced Cranberry Orange Sauce is 100 times better than the canned variety! Once you make it, you’ll wonder why you ever bought it in a can.
This Spiced Cranberry Orange Sauce is our family’s favourite. It’s lightly flavoured with orange juice, cinnamon and cloves and (optionally) spiked with Triple Sec. It’s a gourmet homemade cranberry sauce for your holiday dinners that may just become your family’s new favourite, too.
Cranberry sauce is something that we only make a few times a year. This recipe is one I’ve used for years, but since I don’t make it often, I haven’t committed it to memory. My original reason for posting it here was simply to have it at my fingertips here on my blog when I need it! But it’s just so good that I wanted to share it with you, too.
I make several batches of this Cranberry Orange sauce at holiday times so I can use it to make these spicy Cranberry Glazed Chili Chicken Wings and these Cranberry Brie Jalapeño Crostini. This sauce freezes well, too.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- zest from one organic orange
- pinch of cinnamon
- cloves half a pinch of
- 1 - 2 tbsp Triple Sec or other orange liqueur optional
- Combine the cranberries, sugar and orange juice in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until cranberries pop. Remove from heat.
- Stir in zest, cinnamon and cloves. Add Triple Sec, if desired.
- Cranberries contain lots of natural pectin so this sauce will thicken as it cools.
- This sauce can be made up to a week in advance. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.