Best ever Gluten-free Baked Salmon Patties recipe! Easy to make ahead and freeze. Serve with yogurt-based Creamy Lime Sauce for salmon patties. Bake or fry!
Crispy Baked Salmon Patties with Creamy Lime Sauce will be on our dinner table today. This is a recipe I've made for more years than I care to remember! It has stood the test of time because this salmon cake recipe is:
quick and easy
made with either fresh or canned salmon
Ready to make a batch of healthy salmon patties? Here's what you'll need.
Ingredients for Baked Salmon Patties with Creamy Lime Sauce
- salmon: about 14-16 ounces. That's 4 cans of wild sockeye salmon or a little less than 1 lb of freshly cooked salmon.
- panko crumbs: regular or gluten-free (better than bread crumbs)
- Parmesan cheese
- green onions
- red bell pepper
- seasonings: lemon juice, parsley, dill, Dijon mustard and mayonnaise
Here's an overview of what you'll do. Complete instructions are in the recipe card below.
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, then form patties with about 1/4 cup of salmon mixture. Keeping them this size insures that they hold together nicely while cooking. Bake in the oven at a high heat, or fry in hot oil in a skillet, then drain on paper towel. Serve with dollops of Creamy Lime Sauce.
You can also make them appetizer size, about one inch in diameter. They make fun finger food to dip in the sauce.
Make and freeze these baked salmon cakes
If you were to open my freezer almost any day of the year, you'd find vacuum-packed salmon patties. Having healthy pre-made dinner options is a life-saver on busy days. And yes, even though I'm retired, my days can be busy!
Peeking in my freezer, you'd probably also find Crispy Baked Zucchini Patties, Chicken Fajita Burgers, Chipotle Chicken Burgers, Thai Chicken Burgers and possibly Harissa Chicken Burgers, my personal favourite.
Batch cooking, often on a quiet afternoon, allows me to fill the freezer with ready-made meals.
I usually freeze these patties unbaked. I line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lay the patties on it and put it in the freezer. Once they're frozen, I transfer them to ziplock bags in a single layer or vacuum seal them. I usually put four in a bag. However, If you have leftover patties, you can also freeze them if you'd like.
Sauce for salmon patties
Don't forget the sauce for salmon patties! This Creamy Lime Yogurt Sauce is so simple to make, yet incredibly flavourful.
Sometimes I make these salmon patties just so I can have this sauce! To make this delicious creamy lime sauce for salmon patties, you'll need:
What to serve with Salmon Cakes
Baked Salmon Patties with Creamy Lime Sauce
- 14 oz salmon, canned sockeye salmon (4 cans) or freshly cooked wild salmon
- 1 cup Panko crumbs, regular or gluten-free
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup green onions , sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp parsley, dried
- 1 tbsp dill, dried
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
Creamy Lime Yogurt Sauce or Dip
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, snipped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray lightly with oil.
- If using canned sockeye salmon, drain thoroughly. If using fresh salmon, flake with two forks.
- Add all salmon patty ingredients to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Using a quarter cup measure, form patties about 3/4 inch thick and 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes, flipping the patties over half way through baking time.
- Alternatively, fry in hot oil in a skillet, about 5 - 7 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
Creamy Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Stir together all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Garnish with fresh dill or chives, if desired. Serve with salmon patties as a sauce to spoon on top of patties.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.